Acrylic tank advice - crazing - is this an issue I need to worry about?

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Up until now I have only kept glass tanks, mainly because I find a used one I like and it happens to be glass. Well, I've been on the hunt for a BIG tank, and I found one, but it's crazed on one panel.

The current owner says this tank is about 16 years old. It's described as 94" long, 30" wide, and 48" tall - about 580 gallons. It has 1" inch acrylic, and is reef ready on the endcap for a room divider application. The crazing goes from the top edge, down about one foot, on one of the longer panels and has been there for many years. Reason given was someone cleaned it with the wrong chemical year ago and crazed it.

The rest of the tank has minor scuffs, it's actually quite clear from the photos I've seen - and that's as far as I've gotten so far. I haven't seen the tank in person. The area crazed doesn't bother me as it will be against a wall for my uses.

So what is the thought about this? Is it worth taking a 580g chance? Is there a price guide for these tanks? I know acrylic prices different than glass tanks and I'm not up to speed on it. Thanks MFKers!

4.jpg

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
If the seams are in good shape and the crazing isn't a deal breaker, I'd say buy it.

Cost is determined by acrylic size/thickness, condition, and perceived value to each party involved.

My opinion: I'd be interested around the thousand dollar range if it is just the tank and no extras. A 48" deep tank is a pain to work in unless you have tall ceilings and it will bow being 1" thick.

Another option would be to buy the tank, cut it below the crazing, and build two tanks. Top section could be a grow out or frag tank for someone and you could put a new top on the lower section. A lot of work and not for everyone, but could pay for some of your display tank expenses.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
If I was putting that in my living room I wouldn't get it.
If I was putting it in a basement or garage or something that had concrete floors I would be interested for about a grand. Personally something that tall I would want thicker acrylic for my living room. My 96x30x30 is 1" for peace of mind.

Just my opinion, even with insurance I want over built if it's in the house. Out in my fishroom/mancave I would be willing to have more bowing

I would look at all the seams very very closely.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Thanks for the replies. I wondered if one inch was pushing it too. The seams appear ok, and aside from the crazing it looks ok - but - I've only seen photos. I have an eight foot ceiling, no basement, only crawlspace access below. I currently have a 30" tall tank in the same spot with a tall canopy, if I built a stand that a hair lower, the height wouldn't bother me much. However, I would basically need to reinforce under the living room section for the tank, and in theory, if it leaked it would drain through the carpet, wood boards, and then into the crawlspace but it would more likely just take the easy route and spread through the living room and kitchen as well... I wish I had a basement, but they don't tend to built those here.

The tank was recently removed because of a renovation to the hospital where it was last used, it's been in service for 16 years or so according to the ad. There is no stand offered either, and the tank alone is being offered for $800. The price seemed on par, so I'm glad to hear I was on par for spotting a good price. I'm going to pass on it at this point, I really want it, but I'm also considering a big move to another house this year, so if anyone else is interested, it's on CL in Little Rock, AR - section general for sale - search "aquarium". They posted more pictures there too.

Thanks again for the replies. It would be a perfect tank if my situation was just a bit different.

Reactions: Hari Haran

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
I personally feel you're making the right decision, it's been good for 16 years but that much crazing has happened for a reason. I would probably go 1.5" thick for at least the longer front and back panels for a tank that tall. You could prob get away with thinner for top, bottom, and sides. That tank is peninsula style so it's front back and sides are different but you prob understand what I'm saying.

Also I can tell you I personally don't know if I will ever own a tank deeper then 36" simply because of reaching inside it... On my 30" tall and 36" deep tank that sits on top of counter height, I use a step stool to clean it and if I have to net fish or move decore I have to drain a little water or I'm often wet to my armpit and sometimes have to take my shirt off especially reaching deep and in the back of the tank. I'm 6'1" and never thought that to be an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store