Acrylic tank and Overahng?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I'm just curious, would it work if it was a glass tank. I would never try it, but I have seen people post pictures here with overhanging tanks
noooo glass tanks must have all four corners on a flat level surface.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The 3 inches on either side of a 72 " long tank contain ~45 lbs of water/sand. The only thing keeping that weight off the floor directly beneath it is the glass bottom. Add in the actual weight of the glass itself and you are close to 60 lbs. That might indeed be enough to cause a fracture along the bottom. It's more likely to cause seals to give first.

My guess is that acrylic would handle that much better than glass, but only because of how its cast and it's ability to handle more deflection.

Engineers could calculate this, but really, it's just a smart move to not test structural limits with a half ton of water in a bedroom!

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Yep! thanks for chiming in and great recommendation.

I have already got all of the framing wood cut and preped for assmebly. Move the room around that it's going in tomorrow. Just have to cut the front, top and side panels and most likely throw a quick coat of flat black on it as it's birch.

Acrylic tank bieng Clear on all four sides, has been painted on the back with a few coats of Royal Blue Krylon Fusion "Roll On". Plumbing parts are ready to go as well as Pump and the filter is a Red Sea Ocean Clear canister being used as an extra section of polishing on the output of an FX5 so it's been running for about a week and should be good to go for this tank as it's Inhabitants will arrive Friday afternoon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store