adding fish to my 300

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
Hi all, i was thinking about adding some new fish to my 300 gallon tank. The tank measures 6 foot long 3 foot wide and 30 inches deep. My current fish include: 12" albino oscar, 10" leporinus, 8" nicarogwanies, 3" jack dempsy (must be a runt has been this size for 5 years) two 3" silver dollars, one 3" fire mouth, pictus cat, rapheal cat. western painted turtle. When i originally set up the tank i had a few others but have lost a few here and there for various reasons. So i have been considering adding, a few severums, and a blue acara. my only concern is how do i add the new fish since i will most likely only be able to get juveniles that will easily be bite sized for the oscar. Also with my current stock would the new additions work well? Thank you for the help

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you add anything that is "bite sized" it will probably become a bite. I would try to source some larger severums through craigslist or LFS's in your area, It's not that rare for me to see 4-5" sevs for sale. Severums sound fine to me, acara might be a little bit on the passive side. Do a waterchange and switch up the décor before you add the new fish, and keep lights off for a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store