Adding Fuel to the Nitrate Debate: Why Water Changes DONT Reduce Nitrates

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
tcarswell;3462021; said:
cchhcc;3461870; said:
I reccomend checking out the algae scrubber thread. It is in the DIY section under "Super powerful nitrate and phosphate remover"

Ohhhhh......... ALGAE scrubbers. I thought you meant scrubbIES (as are often used in W/D filtration). I was politely calling BS! :naughty:

Yes, algae scrubbers are an effective method.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
ken 429;3477018; said:
read the november issue of TFH thers an interesting article on this subject.
link?

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
for my 2 cents that is what things like chemipure and nitrazorb are for add them to the wc factor and no nitrate issues nuff said!!

add to this proper tank cleaning and no issue at all

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
chefjamesscott;3477722; said:
for my 2 cents that is what things like chemipure and nitrazorb are for add them to the wc factor and no nitrate issues nuff said!!

add to this proper tank cleaning and no issue at all
That stuff is expensive as hell :) I prefer purigen it breaks down everything before it even becomes nitrates :popcorn:

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Once you start cleaning the source of where the nitrates come from, IE: gravel washes and filter maintenance, this will help reduce the amount of pollutants in the water anyways. I think this is one of those mathematical glitches where you come out with the wrong answer by having the wrong formula. By doing water tests we can prove that over a sustained period of time like months and years that water quality can and will be kept in check for as long as we keep ahead of the curve of collapse.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
when i clean my tank .. i clean the filters the glass and the sub .. while doing this i take about 50% of the water out .. so .. in theory i should get more then 50% of the crap out as well . since im not taking straight water ... but also all the other crap ... i think there there has to be more to it then just the simple .. leftover + new -50%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store