Adding Quarter sized Red Bellies to a already established Red Belly Shoal

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi All,

Thanks for checking out my thread. I currently have a established 125gal aquarium, with a 75 Gal Sump, Running Charcoal bags, Crushed coral, and black filter pad material. I have 6 (7-8inch) Red bellies that have been living together since birth. I recently purchased a batch of 25 fry's and raised them until they were about the size of a quarter in the 75gal. Before introducing the Juvinilles i serverly changed the decor in the 125gal tank. Also i added extra hiding places for the dry to seek shelter and security. After introducing them i woke up the next day to only 1 little Fry left. Any thoughts on something i might have did wrong?

125 Gal Setup
(Temperature is at 27C)
(Power Head)
(Lots of aeration from return pump and Air stone)
(Weekly water changes about 25-30 Percent)
(I use water buffers after the water changes to remove heavy metals chroliide etc...)
(I feed the subadults 2 times a day with a mixture of bloodworms, mealworms, feeder fish, goldfish, and shrimp)
(Nitrates are at 0ppm)
(PH: 6.3)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Anything that smaller than your current established Piranha pack will become food for them, even if you add a 4~5 inches one they still look at it as food, they won't able to eat all bigger size in short amount of time but if the one that survive the massacre don't keep up with the grow rate will become food soon too.
Why would you want to add more fish in that 125G it's already over stocked with your current pack.
Edit:
I'm always doubt when folks posting their Nitrate 0ppm in Freshwater with heavy bio load....

Reactions: tlindsey

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
@yukiRihwa Theres no way to make them coexist even if i keep them well fed, add lots of hiding places?? i saw on the piranha fury forum that if you use the net and chase them around a little it helps create a bond? I want to have a solid pack of at least 10.. i was gonna make some changes and completely move all decor once i got them coexisting.. Haha I'm not someone to waste my time on the internet ... I guess I'm not your average "folk" then. IF i have to... ill take a picture with the test kit instructions, expiration date, and ppm chart, and even a video of me scooping the water haha.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
@yukiRihwa Theres no way to make them coexist even if i keep them well fed, add lots of hiding places?? i saw on the piranha fury forum that if you use the net and chase them around a little it helps create a bond? I want to have a solid pack of at least 10.. i was gonna make some changes and completely move all decor once i got them coexisting.. Haha I'm not someone to waste my time on the internet ... I guess I'm not your average "folk" then. IF i have to... ill take a picture with the test kit instructions, expiration date, and ppm chart, and even a video of me scooping the water haha.
*Nah, you don't have to prove anything to me.
*If you want to put more in your tank then either raise up the young in different tank then add them when they are at similar size with your pack, the new added one always in shock/stresses compare to the established one even after you change your decor around they still after the one that showing stresses/weaker and put it down. There are many theories that other posting in other forum, internet that work for them then you just need to find the one sound good for you and try it out. It's all depend on each fish/pack personality it's might work for them and not for you and vice versa...Good Luck!

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
Hey man you should probably lay off the goldfish too. They aint good for your p's. And at 8 inches they should have graduated from blood worms by now. Try giving them some white fish filets, tilapia, cod, catfish etc and silversides/lance fish. If you can get them on pellets or massivore, even better!

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey man you should probably lay off the goldfish too. They aint good for your p's. And at 8 inches they should have graduated from blood worms by now. Try giving them some white fish filets, tilapia, cod, catfish etc and silversides/lance fish. If you can get them on pellets or massivore, even better!

Could you give me some suggestions of fish fillets. I am currently working out of Shanghai China, and i don't know really what to get.. I'm Chinese but i can't speak or read the language atm . It's a gamble at times when it comes to choosing things . Also what are some good pellets to give them? they don't seem to like some of the ones i give them.

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
Everything Yuki said is on point. If you want to add more they need to be the same size. But you're not gonna fit 10 in a 125g for very long.

Good luck bro.
Ahh i see. Thanks allot! I really appreciate not just you but everyone who took time to give me some insight. This was a good way for me to break the ice in this forum.. i am trying to get a picture of my tank on this thread for everyone to see. Also i used the "TANK CALCULATOR" to kind of ball park my tank..

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
*Nah, you don't have to prove anything to me.
*If you want to put more in your tank then either raise up the young in different tank then add them when they are at similar size with your pack, the new added one always in shock/stresses compare to the established one even after you change your decor around they still after the one that showing stresses/weaker and put it down. There are many theories that other posting in other forum, internet that work for them then you just need to find the one sound good for you and try it out. It's all depend on each fish/pack personality it's might work for them and not for you and vice versa...Good Luck!

Thanks for everything my brutha! i really appreciate it.

Mahalo!

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
~PICTURE~

125 Gal Setup
(Temperature is at 27C)
(Power Head)
(Lots of aeration from return pump and Air stone)
(Weekly water changes about 25-30 Percent)
(I use water buffers after the water changes to remove heavy metals chroliide etc...)
(I feed the subadults 2 times a day with a mixture of bloodworms, mealworms, feeder fish, goldfish, and shrimp)
(Nitrates are at 0ppm)
(PH: 6.3)

IMG_2815.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store