Adding to breeding program (pic)

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
i noticed in your threads you have been heavily searching males out, which is a good start and i dont know how much the breeding game has changed genetic wise since ive been out of it, but imo a fertile grade a female is gonna be 1000% more important to any breeding program. i would actively search out females first before thinking about males. 99% percent of my nicer fish were from the nicer females.
Very true, I have always heard females are more important than the males.

fishtankdork

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
pa
ive had 5 inch females rip apart 12inch males during breeding, sometimes it takes a while for them to be open to it.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Hes supposedly shelled out over $2000 AUD on 3 Flowerhorn which is more or less the same. $1.00 AUD atm is $0.97 USD

Personally if I was gonna shell out that much money, would invest in some tanks and come up with a different breeding program like RQ or something.

NitroDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
Italy
Hes supposedly shelled out over $2000 AUD on 3 Flowerhorn which is more or less the same. $1.00 AUD atm is $0.97 USD

Personally if I was gonna shell out that much money, would invest in some tanks and come up with a different breeding program like RQ or something.
Same here I would have a real nice breeding setup and seperate holding tanks set up

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
wait..1g for that flowerhorn? 1,000 USD? correct me if im wrong...
not $1k for this one. plus i dont know if you know....fh is illiegal to import in Australia...so a high grade one costs cash.

Chris i would have invested in tanks... but not yet...told you im waiting for more room... the fish im buying are of Australia's top quality fh... breeders dont want to sell..because a good fry from good genes go for $300 each...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
2005-2009 when i used to breed flowerhorns pretty heavily i noticed that a mixture of the 3 diff hikari's gold/staple/and red would give off just as great colors and growth as the flowerhorn foods, and less pricey and no shipping. i noticed in your threads you have been heavily searching males out, which is a good start and i dont know how much the breeding game has changed genetic wise since ive been out of it, but imo a fertile grade a female is gonna be 1000% more important to any breeding program. i would actively search out females first before thinking about males. 99% percent of my nicer fish were from the nicer females. if your able to find a pearl'd out koky female than your male selection is pretty much up to you. the only time i ever went out and bought a whole bunch of males was when i already had a good breeding population of females and i just wanted fresh blood in the genes. i find its much harder to have males and try to find females for them, an un breed female has a good chance of killing your 1000$ males because they get pretty fiesty before breeding. its good to have a female have a couple of practice lays first with a fish u arnt heavily invested into. i wish you good luck in your breeding program, but i think buying a whole bunch of males is the wrong way to go about it. they are gonna age, you might lose some before you find a female with good genes, who is open to breeding.
Wow, it's nice to see someone who knows their stuff when breeding FH's. A quality female is far more important than a quality male. There is no shortage of kokster males around the world, but there is a shortage of females. Yes, females don't look as great as males but breeders are smart enough not to let their "treasures" slip out and only send out their males. A quality female will often times fetch a higher dollar than a quality male. Kudos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store