advice needed for 600 gallon beginner

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
shark_curious;3895519; said:
i did think about rebuilding it, but it has a nice fake marble outside, and i have a small living room as it is, id rather not take up any more space than i already am. although i do have an idea, (another bad drawing unfortunatelly) i hope this makes sense.

Im thinking of utilizing all the space on the right on the left and in the center limiting it to about 12" wide and high. vs the two columns on the right and left were it would be 40" long, 22" high or so and 18" wide. the only downside i can see is id have to build each of the three pieces seperately in the actual sump between the support pillars and then cement/weld/? (whatever the right term is) the three together.

other than i know it might be $ and a big pain... any other issues?

Best drawings yet. I love the thought of bio towers. If you could make it happen and water seal it then yes that would be fine. Though if cash isnt to big of an issue why not just 4 fx5s?

That would give you a good 6x turn over rate. Which would be really good.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
i have no real reason. nor have i really decided as to which direction im going to go with anything yet. i just want to leave no stone unturned. i really want to be able to say "i have a firm grasp on this" whenever i start putting things together.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
how do i find an appropraite rate of waterflow thru biomedia in a wetdry? is the full flow from the overflow ok, or do i need to tone it down and do trial and error?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Since you have such a small sump it would overflow with that much water running through it. You might have to close up one hole and T off the other one so you can run your duel tower idea. Any way you could put the sump on the side of the tank? then build something out of wood to hide it? I cant beleive i didnt think of that earlier...... You need to figure out a place to put the sump outside of the tank!!

talk about thinking outside of the box.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
i was thinking about that yesterday. however if at all possible id like to keep it out of sight. right now im trying to figure out a way to build a plywood sump with the two towers all connected in open open area. i think the part that will hold the water will add up to about 100 to 120 gallons at 10 to 12 inches deep. only problem is id have to build three pieces seperately. glue them together and waterproof the seams after its assembled in the sump and pray i dont ever need to take it out.

NarnyTheGreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
Pearland Tx
shark_curious;3901084; said:
i was thinking about that yesterday. however if at all possible id like to keep it out of sight. right now im trying to figure out a way to build a plywood sump with the two towers all connected in open open area. i think the part that will hold the water will add up to about 100 to 120 gallons at 10 to 12 inches deep. only problem is id have to build three pieces seperately. glue them together and waterproof the seams after its assembled in the sump and pray i dont ever need to take it out.
My husband and I are currently working on a 900 Gallon tank and for the sumps/refugium and what not I was thinking of VERY LARGE plastic tubs. Actually a horse troft is what I plan to use. I was reading on the DIY part here the other day about a 1400 gallon tank and this is what the guy used.

I thought about buying a used tank or making one, but we are building the tank and everything that goes with it (with in reason) ie not the pumps lol. And so building a sump was just not what I wanted to add to my to do list. I havent priced them at all so cost may be an issue however, it cuts out the leak factor and, for me, the worry over leaks... makes this opt a much more viable one. There is nothing like having peace of mind.

Sabrina Kelley Roschbach
Pearland Texas

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
NarnyTheGreat;3901320; said:
My husband and I are currently working on a 900 Gallon tank and for the sumps/refugium and what not I was thinking of VERY LARGE plastic tubs. Actually a horse troft is what I plan to use. I was reading on the DIY part here the other day about a 1400 gallon tank and this is what the guy used.

I thought about buying a used tank or making one, but we are building the tank and everything that goes with it (with in reason) ie not the pumps lol. And so building a sump was just not what I wanted to add to my to do list. I havent priced them at all so cost may be an issue however, it cuts out the leak factor and, for me, the worry over leaks... makes this opt a much more viable one. There is nothing like having peace of mind.

Sabrina Kelley Roschbach
Pearland Texas
Though a false peace of mind is never good. 90% of the things people build on here are more structured than anything manufactured. Have you ever looked and saw what supported your store bought fish tank? The stands are GARBAGE! I have had 3 sumps crack leak and bust. They are made with the cheapest grade of scrap acrylic..... They also are the thinnest thickness possible as well. Keep that in mind.

I would suggest diy or atleast be cautious...

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
well i was looking into premade container from sterilite and rubbermaid. but the biggest i could fit is there 45 gallon roughneck. one on the right and one on the left of the stand. but id still need something to catch the water as it came out of those and there is really no container with the proper height and width i need. theyre always about 2u5 inches to wife. thus the plywood build i could do exactly the dimensions i need.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
thats what i was initially thinking. so the three units connected with pvc or tubing would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store