Advice on Green Terror for new American Cichlid owner

Jordan82594

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
B499AF3C-01BB-40E8-8072-181FC822E6AF.jpeg B844F75D-84E1-40A5-A658-BAA3284C6B67.jpeg Hi, I’m new to the forum and rather new to aquariums and fish as a whole. I’ve had cichlids for about a year and a half now. I had mainly Africans but due to me moving I’ve sadly lost all but 2 of my Africans due to the stress of it all (luckily they left a surprise behind them with 4 fry that survived lol I thought all my fish were male but that’s a story for another day) . I recently restocked my 29gallon as a grow out tank for a few new fish that I’ve purchased. I’ve never had American and would like to know if I did well in choosing a fish from my lfs and if it could possibly be sexed. I believe it is a male but I really wouldn’t be sure. I have a couple pics to show. He’s in a 29gallon atm with a couple blue acara I purchased with him. I have a 55 that I put my remaining Africans in for now until my Americans are big enough to move them over. I will be getting a 75 eventually once they grow enough as well. The pics aren’t good but I tried. They still new to the tank so kind of skiddish and hard to get a picture of. Thanks for any help you can give!

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Females usually have a lot of blue on and below the jaw line. Males have streaks in the dorsal fin, and in general more body spangling, they "sometimes" have more pointed unpaired fins, but not always, and a steeper profile
Most of these characteristics become most pronounced with age and maturity.,
Males can grow to about a foot long, females 1/3rd smaller

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
A tank that makes them feel secure but doesn't let them hide out of sight all the time tends to acclimate them faster. Looks like no background on the tank? So, not telling you what to do, but if it was me I'd add sand and a background (or paint a background), remove the tall rocks and replace them with low lying rocks-- or lay some of yours on their side if it accomplishes the same thing. Making the tank feel more enclosed (background and sand) and providing some structure should help them settle in and feel comfortable faster than their current situation.

What type of African cichlids do you have? GTs will actually work pretty well with some of them, not such a good idea with some others.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Welcome:)

Your terror if it’s a male will need a 6’ tank in the future. But for now just make it comfortable. I agree adding more to the tank would benefit it.
You’ll need clearer pictures to help determine gender. Maybe after he’s settled in since a stressed fish normally isn’t showing it’s colors well.

Jordan82594

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
A tank that makes them feel secure but doesn't let them hide out of sight all the time tends to acclimate them faster. Looks like no background on the tank? So, not telling you what to do, but if it was me I'd add sand and a background (or paint a background), remove the tall rocks and replace them with low lying rocks-- or lay some of yours on their side if it accomplishes the same thing. Making the tank feel more enclosed (background and sand) and providing some structure should help them settle in and feel comfortable faster than their current situation.

What type of African cichlids do you have? GTs will actually work pretty well with some of them, not such a good idea with some others.

Yeah I intended on putting them in the 55 immediately which I had decorated for them but I underestimated the size of the fish I have and overestimated the size of the newbies and they were getting bullied a lot so I had to move them to my 29. It’s only been a couple of days and I haven’t had time to get them what they need for the tank but I’m actually going to get a background and different things for the grow out tank today.

Jordan82594

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019

Just a peacock and cobalt blue zebra.

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Just a peacock and cobalt blue zebra.
Don't know about blue acaras, didn't try them in the same scenario, but ime GTs work with haps, peacocks and a few of the milder mbuna. In fact, back when I did Malawi cichlids I'd sometimes have a GT to boss the tank and keep order. It wasn't my aesthetic preference to mix Malawi and new world cichlids, when I decided to return to doing new worlds I got out of the Malawi fish, but in that case it had some utility.

Main difference from the tank you describe above is mine was a larger tank and more fish, so I can't guarantee the same results, but it worked for me. Also, there are mbuna species that are simply too hyper, psycho, nippy, etc. to work with a GT.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store