Advice On My Situation?

PlecostomusPerson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
DFW Texas
Okay, so I've recently got ahold of 4 55G, 5 10G, a 40G and a 5G. I also have 14 1G each of which holding betta fish (They are fairly small, I know betta should be in at least a 2G)...

Anyways, I spent $200 on the aquariums all together, along with each filter, lid, stand, etc. (Got a good deal on Craigslist). I only have the 40G and a single 10G running though.

I'd just want to know if I should sell the tanks and make a small profit or invest into "cheap breeding" (I mean "cheap" as in a fish that won't need my attention 24/7 and can break me even and possibly pay for the electricity spent, so I can enjoy them)?

I currently am trying the bristlenose routine as well as the betta breeding routine. I might invest in shrimp/platys/molly/angelfish/ or a unique guppy though.

I will also be getting 30 free convicts, don't know how much they go for... hoping they're not usually free though.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I will also be getting 30 free convicts, don't know how much they go for... hoping they're not usually free though.
Most people will pay you to take convicts, they're unlikely to bring you in any profit. Most pet stores won't take them even as donations. Convicts are not hard to acquire, nor breed so you're basically getting 30 free fish that will create thousands more fish that you'll be unable to sell or even pass on for free.

Some people might take the fry (babies) to use as feeder fish but most people would rather breed their own to avoid disease etc.

Also, may I suggest keeping the larger tanks for yourself and maybe selling the smaller ones? You won't make as much money but your fish will appreciate the extra room. :)

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Depends on what you wanna do. I would recommend avoiding the 'just raise some cheap breeding fish that require no maintenance' ... you'll end up with a filthy tank and dead fish.

You got a great deal with those tanks. You really could get some great betta breeding going with that many tanks. The 55's for fast grow outs, the 40 for adult females. The 10 and 5's for spawning. The 1 gallons are fine for the single male bettas, just need to be sure to maintain the water quality.

Do something that inspires you ... if nothing inspires you, then just sell off the tanks :)

Reactions: Drstrangelove

PlecostomusPerson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
DFW Texas
Most people will pay you to take convicts, they're unlikely to bring you in any profit. Most pet stores won't take them even as donations. Convicts are not hard to acquire, nor breed so you're basically getting 30 free fish that will create thousands more fish that you'll be unable to sell or even pass on for free.

Some people might take the fry (babies) to use as feeder fish but most people would rather breed their own to avoid disease etc.

Also, may I suggest keeping the larger tanks for yourself and maybe selling the smaller ones? You won't make as much money but your fish will appreciate the extra room. :)
I'll most certainly think about this situation now. I've never bred cichlids before, had no idea they'd breed crazy like that.... I might now tell the guy I can't take them in. I know the food for that amount would most likely be costly. These were like a couple months old fish I believe.

I was planning on keeping the 55G's, but if this forum section suggested otherwise... I would've then stuck with the experts.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'll most certainly think about this situation now. I've never bred cichlids before, had no idea they'd breed crazy like that.... I might now tell the guy I can't take them in. I know the food for that amount would most likely be costly. These were like a couple months old fish I believe.

I was planning on keeping the 55G's, but if this forum section suggested otherwise... I would've then stuck with the experts.
Not all cichlids breed like crazy, in fact some can be quite difficult to breed in captivity. Convicts are not among them though. I've had convicts spawn in some ridiculous situations (power outage, outside tank in cold climate) and had most of the fry survive. They're some of the hardiest fish you'll come across, and if you don't want thousands of babies, don't mix sexes! :)

Although may I maybe suggest getting one single male or two females to put in the 55g you have. An adult male convict can make a beautiful display fish (as can a group of females) for a smaller tank, just an idea. :)

Also, I'd like to point out now that I'm by no stretch of the definition an "expert" of anything! I will chime in however if I have experience on a subject that I think may be able to help. :D

PlecostomusPerson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
DFW Texas
Depends on what you wanna do. I would recommend avoiding the 'just raise some cheap breeding fish that require no maintenance' ... you'll end up with a filthy tank and dead fish.

You got a great deal with those tanks. You really could get some great betta breeding going with that many tanks. The 55's for fast grow outs, the 40 for adult females. The 10 and 5's for spawning. The 1 gallons are fine for the single male bettas, just need to be sure to maintain the water quality.

Do something that inspires you ... if nothing inspires you, then just sell off the tanks :)
I've made profit from guppies before, but you're right about dead and filthy.... and not to forget about deformed.

I never thought about using it all for betta fish. I did spend some hundreds on the males alone. They areally nice quality. I only ever had the problem of getting them to make bubble nests. The females would drop eggs like crazy, but the males would just eat them.... :(

Pecos definitely inspire me, I just know I couldn't make too much... unless they're ancistrus or a zebra... and God know's I can't afford zebra L46.

PlecostomusPerson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
DFW Texas
Not all cichlids breed like crazy, in fact some can be quite difficult to breed in captivity. Convicts are not among them though. I've had convicts spawn in some ridiculous situations (power outage, outside tank in cold climate) and had most of the fry survive. They're some of the hardiest fish you'll come across, and if you don't want thousands of babies, don't mix sexes! :)

Although may I maybe suggest getting one single male or two females to put in the 55g you have. An adult male convict can make a beautiful display fish (as can a group of females) for a smaller tank, just an idea. :)

Also, I'd like to point out now that I'm by no stretch of the definition an "expert" of anything! I will chime in however if I have experience on a subject that I think may be able to help. :D
Lol. They sound like some hardy fish. If I did get them though.... I'd have to get all 30. Which I wouldn't mind, I mean I do have the aquariums to hold them for a while. Not sure about when they hit 4" though.

Lol. Well you seem like you know your cichlids. Far more of an expert than me. :p

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Lol. They sound like some hardy fish. If I did get them though.... I'd have to get all 30. Which I wouldn't mind, I mean I do have the aquariums to hold them for a while. Not sure about when they hit 4" though.

Lol. Well you seem like you know your cichlids. Far more of an expert than me. :p
The males will get to 15cm only the females stay small. If you really want some check your lfs, you'll have to pay for them but at least you can avoid millions of unwanted fish. :)

Also, mine started breeding at roughly 5-7cms so before they're at 10cm you'll have tons of baby cons.. :eek:

PlecostomusPerson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
DFW Texas
The males will get to 15cm only the females stay small. If you really want some check your lfs, you'll have to pay for them but at least you can avoid millions of unwanted fish. :)

Also, mine started breeding at roughly 5-7cms so before they're at 10cm you'll have tons of baby cons.. :eek:
Lol. Well I will tell the guy I can't take them in. I can't afford all the food for them, especially for the fry.

I might invest in some convicts in the future. Maybe have a cichlid set up, if they aren't too territorial. They are pretty fish, nice blue shades were on the ones he was trying to sell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store