Advice on the best way to remove the bottom trim for a 130 G tank rebuild.

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
I purchased this tank off CL. I have decided this tank needs a complete rebuild due to stubborn hard water stain, scratches and the need to reseal. So I plan to tank the tank complete apart to clean and address the scratches.
1. Any advice on how to take the bottom trim off without ruining it? I would like to keep it and continue to use it in the future if possible.
2. Any advice on scratch removal?
Thanks.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
A block of wood and a rubber mallet, knock it all the way around evenly.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Really? What are the chances of cracking or breaking the trim using this method? Would it also be helpful to heat it at all to assist with removal? Thanks
Yeah I would heat it as well. But be careful you don't go too hot and crack the glass. I'd maybe get a putty knife and work it around in there too. That is what the guy at the fish store told me to do to replace the trim on my 180. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reactions: BadBrad

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I would bet the trim will shatter. I didn't see a picture or a description of how old the tank is but plastic gets brittle over time. You could probably knock the trim off a new tank with a block of wood and a hammer but all of the old tanks I have worked on have had very brittle trim. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacture of the tank and see if replacement trim is available.

Reactions: BadBrad

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
I would bet the trim will shatter. I didn't see a picture or a description of how old the tank is but plastic gets brittle over time. You could probably knock the trim off a new tank with a block of wood and a hammer but all of the old tanks I have worked on have had very brittle trim. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacture of the tank and see if replacement trim is available.
Yeah I am worried about the bottom trim being brittle also. Seems solid so I may just leave it. The tank is older and I do not know the manufacturer to order the trim. Thanks for the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store