African Aro

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Thanks. From what I read through old threads feeding and waterchages are key at the small stage. far as eating it's a beast. Ate some flakes and a whole lot of bloodworms. I'm probably going overboard but I consistently have been feeding every 3 to 4 hours and plan to keep it going until it gets larger.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds good.There aren't many afros around because big ones are expensive and many small ones don't make it to a decent size.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Dloks Dloks join I'm and anybody else that has info or a grow out or large one join in

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sponge filters are a great tool for younger afros. Or sand substrate with live blackworms so they can continuously sift for food as needed. They eat small amounts constantly, high metabolism when young.

I found the sponge filters have all of the flake and food debris stick to the surface, then they just pick it off as needed. I'd leave extra food on the filter (clean them regularly) didn't take the afro long to figure it out.

Great fish. Loved mine dearly, they make awesome cleanup fish to pair with messy eaters.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Thanks. Currently it's doing that with the bags of ceramics I have in the tank the food lands on it then it picks at it every few minutes but I'll go grab a sponge filter for that purpose alone. Appreciate all the info from everyone.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Sorry I'm out will try and upload a video later. Mine however isn't eatting as much as yours kinda barely eats any blood worms when I drop it in but it's actively swimming. Can anyone tell me if anything wrong? It's kept with 2 armatus and a orino water quality is prestine

pythonloose

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
in a pineapple under the sea
Havent been on the forums in a long time but ive had my afro fro about 8 years now. I fed mine live black worms 4 times a day as a baby, worked out fine for me :) I didnt switch to blood worms till he got a little bigger.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry I'm out will try and upload a video later. Mine however isn't eatting as much as yours kinda barely eats any blood worms when I drop it in but it's actively swimming. Can anyone tell me if anything wrong? It's kept with 2 armatus and a orino water quality is prestine
Hopefully the armatus are not stressing or bothering the afro.
Havent been on the forums in a long time but ive had my afro fro about 8 years now. I fed mine live black worms 4 times a day as a baby, worked out fine for me :) I didnt switch to blood worms till he got a little bigger.
Nice,eight years....got any photos to share?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Bloodworms are nutritionally weak. they don't have many total calories or many macro or micro nutrients. If you can switch to blackworms I think you will be making a healthier decision for the Afro.

Good luck! The big ones are a majestic sight!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store