African Butterfly/Crayfish Tank

nstanley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
CO
Im about to do some moving around and have set up a 10 gallon tank for a wild caught crayfish. He needshis own tank, due to the fact that he likes to eat anything he can catch. Including every kind of plant.

Anyways, if i slowoly intorduced heat and got him up to tropical temps, what about having 2-3 african butterflys in the 10 gallon with him.
I couldnt see any problems.

Any input? I would add lots of floating plant cover for them. I have one right now, and he has been doing great for sometime now.

sterling_mcdaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
idaho
the problem i see is that the tank is to small for that size of fish.

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
yeah i think the tank is too small

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
I'm not sure on the temp for the crayfish, but sounds like a good idea for a larger aquarium. I might try this if I ever keep crayfish again.

nstanley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
CO
Ya i just want to mix somthing with the crayfish. Even with an oversized bio-wheel filter it still wouldnt suffice?
what else could i mix with him?

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Pearl and zebra danios like to swim at the surface(that's what you're going for?), but there still might be some risk of them being eaten. I've never tried it myself

Hypancistrus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
USA
My African butterfly fish is 4" long and 3 years old. I think one would be okay in a 10, but more would be way too much. I also would say a 24" long tank, like a 20 gallon, would be even better.

CDickes1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Think African Butterflies get a bit too big for a ten... Possibly some hatchets, though they might need at least a 20 as well.

nstanley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
CO
I got a 20 gallon today. Im doing butterfly crayfish tank. woo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store