African Cichlid tank (Mbuna) Questions.

Lanky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2020
I plan to get back into fish keeping again and i thought it was time to start with African cichlids ive always done either normal tropical fish or American cichlids.
I plan to use my empty 75 gallon tank. I don't what filter or filters would work a lot of people say canister but i keep getting mixed feelings in research videos and articles i read what would guys recommend

current stocking list

1 male to 5 female ratio
6 yellow labs
6 rusties
6 purple acei
I wanted to do another group of 6 but honestly i don't what could work well that also won't hybrid. any tips?

What catfish would you recommend i keep seeing Syndon's and my lfs store has a lot of them but i don't know which one is the right one for mbuna. Side note my lfs store is called the wet spot its a huge fish store in portland or if that helps

So the rock set up i plan to get a bunch of flat style white rocks and silconing them to stack like how you make a card pyramid and using cichlid sand black. My ph is already hard from my tap so the sand should boost it enough into cichlids normal ph range.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
If you don't want a canister, look at HOB filters such as the Aqua Clear 110, Tidal 110 or the Marineland 400 or 450.
Synodontis Multipunctatus work well with Mbuna.
The Yellow Labs & Rusties should do well together & add color to the tank.
The Purple Acei, aka: White Tails are easy to keep & the males are beautiful. Unfortunately the female coloration is very bland. Maybe look at Afras or Saulosi for a more colorful addition.
Good luck with the new tank.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Agree with rusties as your 4th species. Yellow tail Acei are often called purple, my eyes see periwinkle, but a good color. The white tail males are dark...think in terms of navy.

I would not glue flat white rocks in a house of cards pattern for mbuna. I thought it was a good idea when I did it too, found out later not so much.

Mbuna want a tight fit for caves. The males are more interested in spaces on the substrate to claim, with rocks between to block the sight of the next male. Females need a tight maze to disappear into...swim through tunnels and dark nooks where the male will lose sight of them.

I usually do three pyramid mountains with the points of the base pointing to the glass and to the next pyramid. Males claim the triangles of substrate between and females hide in the nooks/crannies higher up in the rock pile.

I would recommend 2 canisters, but as Stephen St. Clair said the Aqua Clears are good for HOB.

Lanky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2020
Hmm looks like i am going to prob go two HOB filters most likely marine land because i don't think one will be enough.

Dj how did your pyramid mountains work? do you have pictures? i figured multiple card stacks of flat rocks would work darn.

My big Lfs doesnt sale the syn catfish that was recommend any other syn or catfish or loach even that would work? i also read very few loachs but thought i would ask.

I like the look of arfas but my lfs only sales Sp. Lion cove and white top hara/gallireya maybe i will do Lions cove they are beautiful as my third group of 5 or my fourth African cichlids are so hard because they are beautiful

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Y. Modesta, aka "Red Tail Loach" & Tiger Loaches do well with African Cichlids. I keep varieties of both species with mine.
Shop the local rockyards & landscape companies. Look for taller, broad based, flat bottom rocks, preferably Limestone.
The Mbuna will continually dig & tunnel under rocks. Broad, flat bottom rocks resist toppling over.

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Keep in mind that you don't need catfish or loaches. Better not to overfeed and not need a clean-up crew if you are not choosing the fish for itself but rather for it's function.

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I have a 6" hi fin spotted pleco and 4 yo yo loaches and they seem to do a good job and stay out of the way of the "showcase" fish . I have 3 marinelands and they do a great job though more is needed. Wave maker helped blowing the poop and I put a filter in what would have been a dead spot of filth. I'm about to try my first canister however.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Loaches and catfish will not eat the feces...just the food. Better not to overfeed.

For debris like feces try your GPH of 8X to 10X hourly turnover gallons/hour. The flow will keep the debris up in the water column so the filters can sweep it away.

Only get catfish if you want catfish...not for cleanup.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store