Africans with polypterus???

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I have a 70g African, mbuna tank. My LFS is selling a 12" polypterus, not sure what kind, very cheap. I would love to put him in.....I have a stacked slate aqaurium, for the africans. Can he go in ????

Darth Scohin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Mountain Valley, Near Flats
without knowing the species it could be a yes or a no....What type of mbuna do you have? anything less than 6" is threatened to be eaten
Short List if it's a:
Senegal, Delhezi, Palmas Complex, Moke(unlikely) Yes(as long as the cichlids are 6"+
Any Upper Jaw, Weeksii or Ornate No

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
12" sounds more like an ornate or lower jaw species. if you can get pick it would help a lot.

richierichdollar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Harlem nyc
I would say it will be hit or miss with different fish. I have a mbuna setup with x2senegalus and x1 ornate. My yellow lab which is the biggest (6") is the only one that picks at my poly and only my biggest one, but he is learning he lesson as my senegals caught him and bit off a piece of his back fin now he leaves him alone expect for the occasional back fin fanning. All my other fish dont even bother with them sometimes i see them hanging in pvc pipes together.

RandomMistakes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Breckenridge, CO
I only have experience with an electric yellow and a kribensis, but both have been perfectly friendly with my senegal. All three of them pick on a longfin rosy barb though, but that shouldn't be in there anyway...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have had sens with all my africans...no problems...you need to know the sp. of the poly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store