After years i can finally own Catfish (happy to be back!)

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
After ending my previous thread with some good news I contemplated the idea of keeping the thread alive, however seeing as it was years old and based around my previous group of Cats i thought rather start fresh! A big thank you to the members who commented (thebiggerthebetter and jwd), It seems silly but it felt like a great welcome back to the community!

To keep the past short my country completely banned fish importation in 2014, previous to that only goldfish and koi were allowed in. Oscars, cats, arowanas would all be immediately refused entry. Now this as you may expect was very disheartening especially when you browse through threads of the amazing fish many of you all have here. By 2014 My previous RTC who was pushing around 22 inches or so tried to swallow a large Iredescent shark. This didnt go well and the next morning i found my beloved sumo dead in my pond. I am in no way the best fish keeper around and we all make mistakes. Needless to say i quit the hobby believing i would simply never have access to these fish again. Fast forward this year, after a split from a long term GF I thought why not dip back into things that used to make me happy, hence fishkeeping.

The only species available to purchase where angels, tetras the odd small community fish that were inbred from gene pools brought in post 2000 when the authorities didnt care less about this hobby and all species where abundant. Either way I got my tank, set it up and joined the small community of fish keepers around. Fast forward this November a good friend of mine who owns the only store where you can buy fish food, has successfully acquired a fish importation permit (This took two and a half years and relentless nagging) The authorities opened the ban and finally for the first time we have a variety available!

Knowing my love for bigger fish I got a message from him last week about 7 red tails he was allowed in. Literally only 7 in the whole country! Which he was told to only make available to responsible clients who won't let these guys go in rivers around here (we live in a tropical climate with plenty of small endemic species of fish/frogs/turtles) So A few of these guys in our ecosystem would be an absolute disaster!

Hence i present to you my little baby Red tailed. This thread Is my hope to document my journey back into keeping catfish, (I've placed my order sheet for a TSN and RTC/TSN) for the next batch due in February. Also have three ID'S right now that I hope will keep up with his growth. Final housing will be a concrete pond But until then i plan on moving him up and up in bigger tanks. I have 2 375 gallons in construction (one for my cichlids, also finally back in my hands) Pond is scheduled to be built in the coming months but i do have another sitting at home full of cons incase he grows quicker than expected. I know their needs and i will in no way treat my fish poorly.

I know i dragged on but the backstory was essential to realise how special this little guy is to me! He is living off fresh cut fish and sinking pellets for now but I know he will be growing quickly! Instagram photo is all i have left of Sumo (previous RTC) so attached just for the feels lol

Oh and i'm happy to be back!

66.jpg

rd2.jpg

redtail.jpg

redtail3.jpg

redtail4.jpg

IMG_2244.PNG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After ending my previous thread with some good news I contemplated the idea of keeping the thread alive, however seeing as it was years old and based around my previous group of Cats i thought rather start fresh! A big thank you to the members who commented (thebiggerthebetter and jwd), It seems silly but it felt like a great welcome back to the community!

To keep the past short my country completely banned fish importation in 2014, previous to that only goldfish and koi were allowed in. Oscars, cats, arowanas would all be immediately refused entry. Now this as you may expect was very disheartening especially when you browse through threads of the amazing fish many of you all have here. By 2014 My previous RTC who was pushing around 22 inches or so tried to swallow a large Iredescent shark. This didnt go well and the next morning i found my beloved sumo dead in my pond. I am in no way the best fish keeper around and we all make mistakes. Needless to say i quit the hobby believing i would simply never have access to these fish again. Fast forward this year, after a split from a long term GF I thought why not dip back into things that used to make me happy, hence fishkeeping.

The only species available to purchase where angels, tetras the odd small community fish that were inbred from gene pools brought in post 2000 when the authorities didnt care less about this hobby and all species where abundant. Either way I got my tank, set it up and joined the small community of fish keepers around. Fast forward this November a good friend of mine who owns the only store where you can buy fish food, has successfully acquired a fish importation permit (This took two and a half years and relentless nagging) The authorities opened the ban and finally for the first time we have a variety available!

Knowing my love for bigger fish I got a message from him last week about 7 red tails he was allowed in. Literally only 7 in the whole country! Which he was told to only make available to responsible clients who won't let these guys go in rivers around here (we live in a tropical climate with plenty of small endemic species of fish/frogs/turtles) So A few of these guys in our ecosystem would be an absolute disaster!

Hence i present to you my little baby Red tailed. This thread Is my hope to document my journey back into keeping catfish, (I've placed my order sheet for a TSN and RTC/TSN) for the next batch due in February. Also have three ID'S right now that I hope will keep up with his growth. Final housing will be a concrete pond But until then i plan on moving him up and up in bigger tanks. I have 2 375 gallons in construction (one for my cichlids, also finally back in my hands) Pond is scheduled to be built in the coming months but i do have another sitting at home full of cons incase he grows quicker than expected. I know their needs and i will in no way treat my fish poorly.

I know i dragged on but the backstory was essential to realise how special this little guy is to me! He is living off fresh cut fish and sinking pellets for now but I know he will be growing quickly! Instagram photo is all i have left of Sumo (previous RTC) so attached just for the feels lol

Oh and i'm happy to be back!

View attachment 1219816

View attachment 1219818

View attachment 1219820

View attachment 1219821

View attachment 1219822

View attachment 1219825
Welcome back :) Very happy to hear that your friend convinced them to allow him to import fish back in your country, I couldn't imagine not being able to keep some of the great species of fish we are allowed to have imported in the US but miss Snakehead's because some nuckle heads released them into native water and they did great damage. Enjoy your new RTC and the others when you receive them. :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome back! Very interesting (hi)story :) and an adorable RTC. It never ceases to amaze me how these cute little buttons grow into the brutes that the adult RTCs are. Good luck and come back regularly with pics and updates, please.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
Thank you guys for the warm welcome back! Little update on my guy

As all Red tails do he has grown quite a bit! I had to buy him his own little barrell for christmas and being a catfish he won't ever get out. Although i would love to see more of the guy i do prefer my fish comfortable.

I've been feeding him small cut pieces of fish fillet and he just couldn't care less for pellets. On Christmas morning i did the norm routine and he stuffed himself. Not even 10 hours later though my smallest Oscar thought sleeping near him was a good idea. Now i knew something like this could happen and i had planned to seperate them the next day. When i looked at the tank that evening sure enough my red tail was the fattest i'd seen it. And my oscar gone

A little bumbed to say the least but it happens to us all. Now he's in a tank alone with his barrell. Eating again as usual. Pictures are ridiculously hard to get due to his love for his home.

I should recieve my new cats by the end of January though! I just hope he isnt much bigger when they come :oops:

Side note, has anyone noticed how much these little guys resemble killer whales? :D

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
He looks really cool. Looking forward to updates :)

I have an african butterfly fish, i know the feeling of it eating something i thought it couldn't :eek:

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
I have an african butterfly fish, i know the feeling of it eating something i thought it couldn't :eek:
Haha after being away from the hobby so long I had to google what that was :rolleyes: Cool looking fish! The minute i saw that Oscar was missing I knew it had to be the Cat. Needless to say since then iv been cutting his fillet chunks a little bigger :D I vastly underestimated how big of a piece he could swallow!

The real worry comes when the new cats come in in end of January. I'll most probably have to plump them all in a grow out and hope they can catch up.

I've seen a few premade pools around the stores here, I wonder if those would be alright for the cats. Seeing as i'm building my own place soon it seems a better short term plan.

Any thoughts guys? The website states they are lined with three layers and they have inlet holes for filtration.
They have some holding 1750 Gallons, dimensions are 4.50m/ 2.20m/ 84 cm

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
These are ALWAYS better for the fish IMHO. I assume they are small swimming / wading pools for people because this is what we use here, inflatable or with metal frame or rarely hard wall. Many, myself included, line them with 45 mil EDPM rubber or 20 mil PVC liner but some, e.g. OTp1144 OTp1144 say they use them straight with the pool vinyl liner they come with and they serve long term fine. Others, e.g. wednesday13 wednesday13 report 2'-2.5' TSN puncture even his 45 mil rubber liner. YMMV ;)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Before u introduce the new cats,u should add bunches of dithers to the pond so that your redtail doesn't single out his new tankmates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store