Ageneiosus marmoratus

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
has anyone kept these, if so whats the growth rate like, temprament would they be ok with datnoids,paraya poly's and an asian arowana.
thanks
dixon

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I had one briefly...got killed by my other fish...grrrrrr

TheMightyOscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
New York
i have seen them around, never kept one though, i wouldn't keep one with any smaller fish..they have pretty big mouths.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I know the younger ones have a really nice pattern that they end up losing, but the adults don't look bad either I guess.
They are supposed to be a non-agressive cat, but like all, will fit reasonable sized prey items in it's mouth, so tank mates need to be big enough, but are generally pretty reserved (unlike say A. polysticus which is more of a predator than this species)...
I don't think they are very commonly imported but do pop up now and again, but i've never seen one. Someone on PC said that maidenhead aquatics had a large one for £200.
They are good swimming cats and more active at night, cruising around a lot. Would be a cool cat to have- don't know about growth rates though sorry.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
thanks for the info, dan has some 4''ers in and they would be in with my datnoids ranging from 3-8'' and my red tail payara 8'' and my 11'' delhezi and then another asian aro around 6-7'' plus other fish when i decide what to buy.

jconley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Columbia, MD
The one we had in the store a few months back was less aggressive than our fancy guppies!! Very chill, never bothered a soul.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
DiXoN;1359148; said:
thanks for the info, dan has some 4''ers in and they would be in with my datnoids ranging from 3-8'' and my red tail payara 8'' and my 11'' delhezi and then another asian aro around 6-7'' plus other fish when i decide what to buy.
that would be cool, but I dunno what the growth rate would be... I guess thats what your gunna need to find out lol.

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
Eh up dixon,

you'll be surprised to know that I've kept them! - they definitely get bigger than 12", I had one that was nearer to 18".

A fairly peaceful cat - not particularly active though I have to say.
growth rate was steady - The last one I got at about 2" and got it to 9" in 6 months .. typical fishy feeder - mine would eat pretty much anything although was a pig to get started. In the past I had success with squid - seemed to get them going.

They do have a gob on them though - but I reckon with your mix you'd be fine - just watch that the aro that you get is not too small - - mind you the datnoids would have it if it was anyway.

Carl

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
jconley;1359426; said:
The one we had in the store a few months back was less aggressive than our fancy guppies!! Very chill, never bothered a soul.
I saw him, what ever happend to him I was going to buy him until I saw the huge wound on his side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store