Aggression In Tank?

KittyCoven

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2021
Hi guys! First time posting and I’m looking for advice on my tank. I currently have a 150 gallon that houses 3 bichirs that are all the same size (between 6 and 7 as I got them all at the same time. Two of them are saddled bichirs and one is a platinum Senegal. I also have four rope fish all just shy of a foot long.

I’ve had them all for a year now and they grew up alongside 3 weather loaches and the tank has been super peaceful. No aggression, no fighting for food and no chasing or attempting to eat one another.

I recently was given an Africa Lungfish (I think west African. It’s all one dark color with no spots) by a friend of a friend who was moving and no longer could keep it. it was living in a 40 gal. The fish itself is nearly 15 inches long and the previous owner said he was pretty old but didn’t give me a specific year/age.

Since introducing him to the tank he has been very peaceful and hides in a log on one side of the tank but the bichirs seem to have gotten aggressive. They completely destroyed and eaten the three loaches which is a huge shock to me as they’ve never given them a second glance in the past. I’m assuming it’s the bichir’s work as each morning I’ve caught them ripping into what’s left. I was able to get the third loach out with some major bites but alive and now in a hospital tank.

Im hoping to get advice on is this aggression normal in bichirs at this size or am I completely misreading the bites and it’s the lungfish’s work. I was reading that bichirs go through a growth spurt and eat a lot. I feed them a varied diet every other day of beef heart, massivore pellets, bloodworms, tilapia and shrimp. I also often hand feed them bichirs and loaches and never had an issue.

I attached pictures of the fish as well as the bites on the loach I have in a hospital tank to see if anyone can identify the bites. I’ve researched the lung fish’s teeth and bite and have watched him eat/seen the patterns the teeth make and it doesn’t look the same. (I even have a video of it eating but im not sure how to post it.)

If the lungfish is the one causing the deaths I will have to look in rehoming him but I was just hoping for some insight. I hope I’m not in way over my head here. Thanks in advance!

DAF70ACF-A4B9-4A5E-A8F9-EE137E679D33.jpeg

5366A68C-CED6-4DD0-B122-EF08BADED669.jpeg

205F7739-4D7A-4EA8-B4C7-0A0787D38CD9.jpeg

F2F17DE1-DC38-4911-A4A1-BDFFC473A2B0.jpeg

1BDA986A-730E-4AB2-95EC-850A87BFC1F9.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m assuming it’s the bichir’s work as each morning I’ve caught them ripping into what’s left.
Welcome aboard
The Lungfish probably killed the Weather Loaches and the bichir are eating off the remains. I've read here that the African Lungfish are aggressive so a bichir or Ropefish may be next.

Reactions: jjohnwm

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although a 6 ft 150 gal would be considered a fairly substantial tank by most, all your fish are bottom dwellers vying for space, and are in a limited amount of space, so as they grow and age will become more and more territorial, and will be constantly stepping on each others toes.
And although a 15" lungfish seems large, they eventually can reach, double or triple that size, a friend had a 4 ft one that was about 25 years old.
One thing you may also want to consider is that weather loaches are from China, Korea, even Japan, where in winter it snows, and so are not really tropical species, but temperate ones, and do best with a winter cool down, and without it, can get stressed.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store