aggressive rays?

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
i read those threads on when rays attack and i did not know they tried to take down medium to large fish. I have a 9 inch jag, 7 inch snook, 7-8 inch butti, 13 inch bowfin, 6 inch black belt 14 inch ornate in with my 8 inch disc motoro. i throw in a good amount of frozed krill daily and he eats the heck out of krill. I threw in a minnow and it swam under my ray and my ray acted like he wanted to taste it and then took off like the movement of the minnow scared him. i planned on adding my 6 inch female festa and 5 inch trimac to the tank but you guys are scaring me now. even if i dont add them i hope my ray doesnt try to take down the jag and butti and bowfin someday.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i think rays are strange that way. compatibility can be difficult what works for one person may not work for a another. i personally don't even go there the only thing i keep is flying fox's but with my larger ray's are getting to them quicker so i have not got any in a long time. the most successful fish i i know from others is arowannas not to say you won't come across any problems. big tank lots of food the better chance you have.
good luck

john

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I think with those cichlids you will be fine... the personality of the ray has a lot to do with it too....

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
IMO Rays will naturally try to see if things fit in their mouths. With certain setups depending on the fish combo the main thing to worry about is the LONG term. Take into account the growth rates of all your fish. Cichlids are generally not a good idea but one could always try, thou not worth the risk IMO

Ask yourself if the ray will eventually outgrow your fish and be able to fit the fish in its mouth? If not another risk would be the ray sucking the eyeballs out of your fish. Rays are curious and tend to like to explore. Another factor is the rays personality.

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
so far his personality is fine. i use to have a 20 inch clown knife and a 16 inch tigher shovelnose and 15 inch gar that i got rid of and i still have the arow thats 21-22 inch but im letting hiim go today. the stingray use to try to climb the glass and my clown would push him back to the bottom and he even bit a little piece out of my ray so i got rid of all the monsters and am going to go with these cichlids i grew out in my smaller tank. the butti is rather peaceful and doesnt show aggression unless picked upon. i just wander by the time the ray is 15-20 inches my cichlids should be around 12-14 inches so theres no way his mouth would be that big. i guess ill just have to wait and see. i also wanted to put my female festa down there but out of all my cichlids i cherish her the most so maybe ill keep her were shes at. thx for the info

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
Miles;1415484; said:
:iagree:

The cichlids are going to kill the ray, long before the ray kills them...
They have never bothered my bottom dwellers in the 125. i kept them with a 7 inch stonefish who ive had for 8 mos and never seen him eat and personally i dont know how hes still alive unless its filtering minute particles through its mouth or something. if something does happen hopefully it will be minor and i can make a decision at that point and not wake up to one or the other being toast.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Just wondering if you are aware of the fast growth rate of motorros?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store