Ahh! Malawi!

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
Well, I just got back from the LFS with another auratus and 2 demansoni, along with some small caves for them. They seem to be getting their greens via picking at the crystalwort on the filter, and I'm feeding TopFin cichlid pellets, which are being taken. And Alexmuw, most of those rocks ARE softball sized. The smaller ones have been removed.

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Demasoni are very aggressive towards one another. They usually do best as either 1 or 12+. Those 2 will likely become only 1 as the grow.

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
Hm, is there any other way to stem the aggression? I like them, but I don't want a demansoni only tank.

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Then I would consider only keeping 1. I had 1 in my tan k for a long time but eventually he was just too aggressive towards the other fish and I had to rehome him.

They are beautiful but an extremely aggressive fish towards each other. They will also take out that aggression towards other fish that look similar. That's the problem I had with mine. He just decided my male msobo needed to die. I removed the demasoni for a week then re added him to the tank by himself without moving around any of the decore. Within 10 minutes he owned the tank again and was trying to kill the msobo.

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
Blue2Fyre;4445209; said:
...Within 10 minutes he owned the tank again and was trying to kill the msobo...
What was the size comparison between your demasoni and msobo?

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
They were the same size with the msobo being very slightly larger.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
As to the rockwork,for mbuna the rock should go nearly to the surface in at least one spot.
Buying random "assorted africans" and throwing them together as the others have said is risky for the fish.Lots will end up dead.If you are set on this course choose all males as different as possible.about 20.You are going to lose fish.Hopfully end up with 8-12 adults.Thats best case.Its quite possible youll end up with one.Good luck!

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
I've started acknowledging the difference between them, and have decided to mostly go melanchromis in this tank, along with a single demansoni, and perhaps some trophs is they can work?

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
"assorted cichlids" are mostly small auratus, labs and demansoni

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Skip the auratus and get 16 demasoni and 5 labs(1m 4f) and youll have a stunning tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store