ai

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I am sure some of you have heard of Ray Kurzweil and all of his "singularity" predictions. He describes a borg collective, only worse. He wants to convert all matter in the universe to a computing machine and he calls his fictional computing material "computronium". i doubt that ai will ever reach human level intelligence. Sentience is still not close to being understood and neuroscientists say that the brain is a result of nonlinear interactions among billions of cells. I have to agree that the brain is like the stock market, nonlinear, unpredictable and ultimately non-computable. Kurzweil's original prediction was that we would have human ai by 2013, but then he bumped it out to 2029 when that did not come true. He compares his "law of accelerating returns" to the laws of thermodynamics and claims that they "are just laws of a finer level" even though the laws of thermodynamics proves that it is impossible to create "computronium". I do not believe that kurzweil's singularity will ever happen.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I also forgot to mention that the law of accelerating returns is not a physical law. Neither is moore's law. Ray kurzweil refers to different types of computing as "paradigms" such as vacuum tubes and transistors. Ray kurzweil claims that 3d transistors will be the next paradigm, but intel already implemented 3d transistors at 22nm. Carbon nanotube transistors are not stable below 10nm, so that will not work either. Moore's law is stalling, and no new paradigm will replace it.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I hope that they don't come true. I don't want to upload my brain. I don't want to live forever. I don't want to have fish that are only virtual. I don't want there to be a "technological singularity".

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you got a smart phone? pc? sorry you a borg already, :eek:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
you got a smart phone? pc? sorry you a borg already, :eek:
Thats quite true, considering how much smartphones have become an almost necessity for working people...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store