Albino is acting weird... again

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
This time he is pooping stringy white stuff. He's still eating voraciously, but he isn't as active as he was. He's also probably stressed because my other senegal has been bullying him a bit. Considering separating the two. Water parameters are fine, temp is 78, all other fish are okay. I saw somewhere on here that white poop was a bad sign... what steps should I take?

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
And I think I need to take my other sen back to the fish store. He's the only bully and I have seen some damage on my albino and del. Nothing major, but I don't want it to continue.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Not transparent. I will keep an eye on him. What would it mean if it becomes transparent?
If it is transparent, then it is shedding the mucus lining of the digestive system. This is bad if you have tons of it. Treatment would be Metroplex in the water until it starts to eat.

The type of food can also make the poo white, like freeze dried tubifex or freeze dried blood worms.

Reactions: clm08k

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
If it is transparent, then it is shedding the mucus lining of the digestive system. This is bad if you have tons of it. Treatment would be Metroplex in the water until it starts to eat.

The type of food can also make the poo white, like freeze dried tubifex or freeze dried blood worms.
He is definitely still eating, but he has had digestive issues his whole life. He bloats very easy (mostly if he gets ahold of a pellet) and has had constipation issues. I haven't fed anything freeze dried. I noticed it after he ate a bunch of tilapia (which he has been eating since I got him). I'm going to see what I can do about the other Sen, and if it doesn't go away in a couple days I'll medicate him.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My preference for medicating fish with digestive issues is through gel food like Repashy Bottom Scratcher. I pre-measure everything needed to make the gel food so that I can just dump the ingredients in. I boil the water needed, mix the gel powder into it, and wait for the steam to leave the food and to harden halfway, and then put the medication in, allowing it to cool to room temp for 15 minutes before putting in the fridge. I've had WC poly and CB poly take the Repashy Bottom Scratcher.

You can start off with something 3/4 teaspoon of pure epsom salt and 1/2 cup of distilled water mixed together as the liquid portion of the gel food. If no improvement, move on to using the same liquid solution, plus Seachem Metroplex & Seachem Focus (1:1 ratio) in the gel food.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Sorry Porkchop is having digestive issues. It’s probably a good idea that you rehomed the aggressive Sen. Sometimes polys stay aggressive and Will terrorize their tankmates....not worth the ongoing stress imo. I’m confident that you’ll find some more suitable poly pals for Porkchop and the Del soon.

Glad Dr.Rocksor is helping. He’s helped my polys in the past! Rocksor Rocksor : your posts are informative, concise, and extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store