Albino Polypterus dead suddenly

Nickl117

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hey all, I'm relatively new to the fish keeping hobby and i have 2 bichirs: one ornate and one albino. The albino was dead this morning after eating and swimming all last night as it normally did. It had red coloring in its gills and a tongue-like protrusion coming out of its mouth. I have a 30 gal community with a dwarf gourami, a ghost knife fish, some neon tetras, Cory cats and a picture catfih (all fish are relatively small) and the ornate bichir is around an inch and a half. Parameters seem normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Hey all, I'm relatively new to the fish keeping hobby and i have 2 bichirs: one ornate and one albino. The albino was dead this morning after eating and swimming all last night as it normally did. It had red coloring in its gills and a tongue-like protrusion coming out of its mouth. I have a 30 gal community with a dwarf gourami, a ghost knife fish, some neon tetras, Cory cats and a picture catfih (all fish are relatively small) and the ornate bichir is around an inch and a half. Parameters seem normal. Any help would be appreciated.
Sell/Give away the Polypterus and knife fish. Both get two feet long, and your tank is only three feet long and a foot wide.

Nickl117

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
Going to buy bigger tank as they grow, next tank purchase is a 75 gal and so on. For now however both polyp and knife fish don't add up to more than 4 inches combined. Any other reason my fish could have died?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Going to buy bigger tank as they grow, next tank purchase is a 75 gal and so on. For now however both polyp and knife fish don't add up to more than 4 inches combined. Any other reason my fish could have died?
Is your tank cycled? The biggest cause for fish dying in new tanks is that the tank isnt cycled.

Your fish will eventually need a 180, and they grow roughly an inch per month, so you would have to upgrade your tank every few months. It's cheaper just just give away the fish or upgrade straight to the 180.

The polpypterus or knifefish will eventually get large enough to eat the neons and cories, and the cories could possibly kill them if they're eaten.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Nickl117

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
Okay, thanks for the info it helps a lot. Fish being eaten by those guys isn't too much of an issue (except cories now that I know they can cause harm). Will look into a much bigger tank very soon. Also the tank is pretty well cycled and established. I have had fish in there for about a month and a half prior to purchasing bichirs and knife with no fish dying on me. Knife and other bichir are happily eating and swimming

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Okay, thanks for the info it helps a lot. Fish being eaten by those guys isn't too much of an issue (except cories now that I know they can cause harm). Will look into a much bigger tank very soon. Also the tank is pretty well cycled and established. I have had fish in there for about a month and a half prior to purchasing bichirs and knife with no fish dying on me. Knife and other bichir are happily eating and swimming
Could have been diseased from your lfs, or just a random death.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK☺ Captive bred Senegal bichirs have poor genetics imo had a Albino die the same way.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store