Albino rays

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
From what I read, albinos are totally by chance and any ray can give birth to an albino. And apparently albino parents do not increase the chances of albino pups. This could be bad info but it would explain why there is not more albinos in the trade

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
From what I read, albinos are totally by chance and any ray can give birth to an albino. And apparently albino parents do not increase the chances of albino pups. This could be bad info but it would explain why there is not more albinos in the trade
Albinism in any animal is a recessive gene, if you have to animals with the recessive gene you have a 50 percent chance of getting albino pups. Both parents showing the recessive gene increase your percentages.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I will see if I can find the article. It explained why recessive genes work differently in rays. I too would think that rays would be the same as most anything else, which is why I doubted the article in the first place, but you would definitely think that more albinos would exist in the hobby if it was as easy as just having an albino parent.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I will see if I can find the article. It explained why recessive genes work differently in rays. I too would think that rays would be the same as most anything else, which is why I doubted the article in the first place, but you would definitely think that more albinos would exist in the hobby if it was as easy as just having an albino parent.
Please do post that article.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Please do post that article.
+1 I work with recessive genes breeding reptiles and fish. Every albino I have ever came across is a recessive trait. meaning both parents must carry or express the albino gene. If you breed two albino together you get 100% albino.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Itaituba2003 (Frank) used to have a whole website (freshwaterstingray.nl) of his rays and the breeding of albino and lutino rays. He actually bred them. But seems his site is no longer up and running

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
A albino motoro was meant to be coming to the UK about 3 weeks ago but it never showed up

RImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398138551.846714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have been looking for it with no success. It has been well over a year since reading up on them but I will continue to look. It seems like maybe the issue was that they are not true albinos... IDK, I'm gonna stop talking about it until I find that dang article though :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store