Algae Control

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
So I've been wondering lately what methods everyone here is using to control algae growth in their poly tanks. My 40b grow out is currently housing my endli, and I'm having quite a bit of problems controlling the algae in the tank. Mostly because it's sitting right in front of a large window, which is the result of too little space. For a while I had my gibbi in the tank until I needed it for my endli, I've had ottos, but they didn't last the night. I've been thinking about trying to get a hold of some siamese algae eaters, but haven't had a chance to get any, and I'm not quite sure they'll survive my endli. Should I just keep wiping the sides of the tank to keep it clean or are there better alternatives that won't attack my poly, and won't get eaten.

So how do you guys control the algae?

Lark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2012
California
If it were me, I'd stay away from any catfish with a suckermouth if there is a bichir in the tank. They might decide the side of a bichir is just too tasty to resist.

While I too have a tank with a bichir in it right in front of a window, haven't had any algae problems. In my case I believe the tank water is just too warm, with too many water changes, for algae to get any foothold in the tank. I also have one of those backgrounds on the back of the tank, which probably filters out direct sunlight a little bit as well.

Though I'm thinking that if your endii is big enough to eat (adult?) ottos, then the problem could be he/she is already too big for your growout tank and your filter just can't keep up. That is, if 'didn't last the night' did mean becoming a bichir snack.

How big is your endii? Dimensions of the tank? What filter are you using?

Without specifics can only really give vague advice and suggestions.

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
Thanks for the help guys, tank is a 40b, endli is ~5.5-6" filtration is an Emperor 400 with the two extra media holders filled with fluval biomax. Water changes are approx. 50% weekly separated in 2 changes. The tank is also planted with a bunch of amazonian swords to help with any extra nitrates. Next time I get a chance I'll go ahead and test my parameters, but generally my parameters are just about perfect (ph and hardness are high though).

I'd like to stay away from plecos, I had a bad experience with my gibbi attacking my endli when I had to temporarily house them together, and I'd previously had them separated because I know they'll get the taste for the slime coat. The ottos did end up as a snack though they were about as juvenile as possible, so I'll look into finding adult specimens.

edit: tankmate is a large mouth bass, they seem to be fine together, but I know the 2 produce quite a bit of waste. I'll start testing my water more regularly to see if the tank is indeed under filtered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store