ALGEA BLOOM

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I have a 23 gallon community with an algae bloom that won't go away no matter how many times i change the water. I have tried to reduce the light (can't do it too much because I have plants in the tank), I added algaecide, and I have added a pad in the filter that is supposed to reduce nitrates and nitrites. None of this has worked, and in a day or two, the bloom is back. Please help!!!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello lkjhgfdsgfdfghjhnb: Algae blooms are often the combination of too much light and excess nutrients in the water.
You have not given enough information yet about the tank conditions so this will be a guess.

Odds are you are over feeding, overstocked with fish and have the lights on too long in some combination.

How strong are the lights and how long is the photoperiod?

Do you use a gravel vac during WC to siphon out detritus?

What types plants do you have? Some can do OK with less light than others.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I agree with S skjl47 . I think it would be helpful to post the following:

1) readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
2) pH and temperature
3) the wattage on the lights and the length of time they are on
4) a picture of the tank showing the plants
5) how often you change the water? how much you change?

Reactions: tlindsey and skjl47

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
If this is green water algae you're talking about or 'pea soup', that's almost always because of sunlight hitting the water. There are other factors like S skjl47 and Drstrangelove Drstrangelove mentioned but for green water algae sunlight is the big one.
This is something a UV clarifier/sterilizer can clear up .. no problem.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
There is:
1 angelfish
1 dwarf gourami
3 giant danios
1 cory catfish

The pH is 7.6, I will test the ammonia and that other stuff later. I have a tight schedule, so I turn on the lights at 8 AM and turn them off at 5 PM. I do not know the plant types.
I feed them twice a day (in the morning and night) and only feed them as much as they can eat. I use a gravel vac for every water change.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I know this is a stupid question but is that okay for the fish? Thats probably how much they eat in the wild right?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I know this is a stupid question but is that okay for the fish? Thats probably how much they eat in the wild right?
Hello; first thing is that fish are cold blooded and this generally means their metabolism does not burn energy at a high rate like people do. Fish who are at a healthy mass can go for a week or more without any food at all. I have left for up to a week and came back to fish in good shape.

Fish in the wild will feed when food is available but likely do not get twice a day regular feedings. At any rate it took me several years to figure out that I was over feeding. I now feed once a day and leave off feeding at least two days a week. I have been doing light feedings for a couple of decades or so. I have been doing fasting days for many years now. The fish do fine. One note: the exception to this sort of feeding is very young fry.

Even if the fish eat every single bit of food and there is no excess to decay in the tank, the food still is metabolized by the fish's gut and the byproducts wind up in the tank water.
Some fish are messy eaters in that they may take the food in the mouth but it gets broken up and tiny bits exit the gill covers.

My guess is it is the two a day feedings that are adding to the algae problem.

hibackgoldaro

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Toronto, ON
algae needs light to grow...reduce the time your lights are on and problem solved....no point having them on all day..turn them on for a few hours at night when you are home and can enjoy looking at the tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store