"algea crew"(pics)

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
thanks rye just wait till my carpet blooms and wait for other plants to fill in and it will look great....i also have a small piece of driftwood that is baking that will have some sort of moss on it

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Snails will take care of that algae on the glass. ramshorns will breed like crazy though, more than the shrimp! they will keep that glass spotless though.

NilePufferFanatic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Idaho
Jim King;2226982; said:
The bushynose pleco could use some more company. The Otos are delicate and small in my opinion. Algae on glass is best removed completely with a scraper. Depending on fish to clean all the algae in a well lit healthy well stocked aquarium without your physical help has never worked for me in 40 years of fish keeping. More fast growing plants in the aquarium can reduce the growth of algae by reducing the amount of food available for the algae to grow.
:iagree:

Caoboy;2231716; said:
Don't put in the pleco.

Get a group of otto's. they will stay at about 1.5-2 inches full grown, eat only algae, and won't eat plants like pleco's can.
King is a bushy nose pleco breeder... his tanks are spotless (at least the one with bushy plecos:grinno:) so I would heed his advice. I have used them to recover many tanks from algae problems.

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Considering this is a 20 gallon tank, think about livability.

Ottos will be in that tank for life.

A BN will have to be moved out of the tank. Then what?

Get Otto's then?

t0p_sh0tta

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
Connecticut
NilePufferFanatic;2244456; said:
:iagree:

King is a bushy nose pleco breeder... his tanks are spotless (at least the one with bushy plecos:grinno:) so I would heed his advice. I have used them to recover many tanks from algae problems.
Another vote for the bushy nose, although a 20g is a bit small.

I would throw some more fast growing plants in the tank. You don't have to keep them in there permanently, but they will definitely help. You can almost always find Wisteria or Water Sprite locally (what I've used).

-Lamar

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
um the bushynoses will most likely be put in my 55g when he out grows the 20g then ill throw another juvie in the planted tank....

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Golden Algae Eater Gyrinocheilus aymonieri
Common Adult Size: usually around 4", (there is talk about them getting up to 12"), pH: Versatile, Temp: 74-79°F; pH 6.8-7.4; Origin: Northern India
Food: Algae on Glass, Plants, Wood and Rocks. Supplement with New Life Spectrum "Community Formula" or "H20 Stable Wafers" found at Fish Foods
Great algae eaters especially for glass, they will NOT harm your plants, but they can be aggressive toward other fish like Discus and Angels. Ideal tank mates include: Cichlids of similar size, Rainbowfish, Barbs, Danios, Gouramis, larger Livebearers, Plecos, and other scavenger Catfish. They co-exist with all fish/Shrimp we sell. Not many of these are needed, typically 1 Golden Algae Eater per 20 gallons. Excellent for cleaning glass! Size at shipping: about 1.5"+
Food: New Life Spectrum "Community Formula" or "H20 Stable Wafers" found at Fish Foods
2.49 each (no min)

American-Flag Fish
Jordanella floridae
Size: up to 2.0 inches, pH: Slightly alkaline 7.1 up okay, (our waters range from 6.5 and up to 8.0 and they are fine here.) Temp: 21C or 70F, or higher for spawning. Origin: Peninsular Florida north to St. Johns and Ochlockonee River drainages.
Food: Green Hair or Filamentous Algae, Some black and brown algae. See description bwlow for more info. Supplement with New Life Spectrum "Community Formula" found at Fish Foods
Our company is one of the largest suppliers of this magnificent algae eating fish in the U.S. Flagfish are ideal for consuming Brown, Black Beard Algae, Green Thread Algae, Hair/String Algae, and Blanketweed. Good with most fish except bettas or small frilly-finned fish as they will pick on them. They will do great with larger-sized fish, and other fish of same size. They are not interested in eating snails, but they will eat small shrimp. We have heard numerous stories from customers of Flagfish being territorial in small aquariums but not in ponds. In larger groups (like we have them here) we have never seen this behavior. Basically, if you have a horrific algae outbreak and you don't have small fish or shrimp, these will come in and fix the problem, fast. Ideal for any sized pond or lake with a hair algae problem.
Rule of thumb stocking: About 1 or 2 Flagfish per 5 to 10 gallons of aquarium water. or 2 flag fish per sq. foot of surface pond area.
Above: American-Flag Fish pair. Great photo provided by Randy Mickiewicz.
Juvenile YOUR COST 3.29 each
Adults YOUR COST 4.99 each
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Twig Catfish
[/FONT]
Farlowella acus
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] a.k.a. Whiptail Cat, Farlowella Cat[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Size: up to 6" pH:6.5 - 7.2 KH: 4 to 8 Temp:[/FONT]73-79oF [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Origin: Venezuela[/FONT]​
Food: Scavenger: Algae on Glass, Plants Rocks and Wood. Supplement with New Life Spectrum "H20 Stable Wafers" found at Fish Foods
This picture shows an animal resembling a twig or stick and it is now sadly a forgotten "pleco" with the onslaught of the L-numbers in the last decade relegating this once sought after catfish.
Farlowella acus is a native of Venezuela and some records show areas of Colombia and Brazil but they may have been specimens of other species of Farowella such as F.gracilis or F.gladiola. This is a very calm community fish that is olive-green to yellow-brown, with the underside yellowish. Twig cats have a very distinct irregular dark band, often beset with blotches that extends from the head to the root of the tail. Fins are transparent and the rays with dark spots. Each caudal lobe has a dark band. They are mostly vegetarians with algae being their number one source of food for adults and young fry so the above mentioned food should suffice if no algae is available. This is a relatively easy fish to keep and breed as long as you do not partake in huge water changes as this will upset this fish. They prefer smaller water changes and only a little at a time. This fish will do best in a heavily planted aquarium.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Size at shipping: vary about 3" +. SHIPS GREAT![/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Twig Catfish [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 6.99 each
[/FONT]

Algae Eating Olive Nerite Snail
a.k.a. Olive Nerites, Olive Snails
Neritina reclivata
TEMP: 50 - 100 pH: 6.2 - 8.5
-Probably One of the Best Algae Eating Snails you will ever Own!
-THEY WILL NOT REPRODUCE IN FRESHWATER!
-THEY WILL NOT EAT YOUR PLANTS
These little fellas are actually about the size of a dime or a marble, and have neat little barnacles growing on the shells. Probably about the best algae eating snail for aquariums in the world, as they DO NOT reproduce in freshwater, but only in brackish or saltwater. YES, we have them here at the nursery in our FRESHWATER pools so you need not worry about any acclimation process unless you want them BACK in Saltwater. They may lay "pretzel- salt-looking" eggs, but they won't hatch unless the eggs are laid in, at least, brackish water at an optimum temp. Great for keeping GLASS, & PLANT LEAVES clean! NO, They won't eat your plants either. What else could you want in a snail?
STOCKING INFO: use 1 per gallon or more. Not easy to breed, as they are actually a brackish water snail (brackish water is where they are prolific). Excellent algae eating snail for freshwater aquariums and also Marine as well! Will NOT harm plant life.
ONLY .79 each Minimum order: No less than 12

laura77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
i have a gold sucking cat (golden algae eater).....had that same algae all over one side of my tank gone within 1 day of putting him in....awesome little character too!! when theres no algae left they like brineshrimp pellets and algae wafers hes my fav fishy ever!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store