Algernon has bloat

Has anyone treated an old pleco for bloat?

• Yes - successfully

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - no such luck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zekwean

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2017
My ancient pleco developed bloat. I have done two big tank and filter changes, and fed him some minced peas. He became more active at first, but is still drifting and staying near the top of the tank. He's in a 35 gallon tank with another older catfish, and both have been very healthy until Algernon's bloat.

I don't know whether to treat the whole tank with epsom salt, or to treat him separately. I have also read of using meds, but am unsure which to use.

The tank has a big Magnum filter, and the water always smells sweet. I use activated charcoal for filtration, and a sleeve over the carbon container to help good bacteria grow.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. When I say ancient, Algernon is at least 25 years old and still is very active and, to me, a very beautiful fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wow 25 year old pleco! Pretty cool. Sorry your fish is sick.

Would separate it. Try some kanamycin, furan2, maracyn2 or triple sulfa. Add prazipro and epsom salt 1 tbsp per 5 gallon.

Cross your fingers and hope it gets better.

zekwean

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2017
Wow 25 year old pleco! Pretty cool. Sorry your fish is sick.

Would separate it. Try some kanamycin, furan2, maracyn2 or triple sulfa. Add prazipro and epsom salt 1 tbsp per 5 gallon.

Cross your fingers and hope it gets better.
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll try a bath first. I got a 10"x8" net in case I have to net him. I could add the prazipro to the bath to avoid medicating the whole tank. Wonder if the netting is too much trauma. He's still pretty lively, and doesn't spend all his time at the top of the tank, so his swim bladder is still in decent shape.

His tankmate is, I think, a
Asian stone catfish (Hara jerdoni)
Pretty tough stuff. Do you think the meds would harm him? Think I have some maracyn2 from days when I stocked cichlids. If I used the prazipro, would I still use something like the maracyn2?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store