MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It might but since its a 400g, I doubt the difference will make a big impact. It would be better to just do one larger 40g wc, then test the next day. If they're still off, do another one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
It might but since its a 400g, I doubt the difference will make a big impact. It would be better to just do one larger 40g wc, then test the next day. If they're still off, do another one.

I don't really have an efficient way of doing that large of a water change right now. It would be an all day affair.

I'm looking into getting a 65-150 gallon container for mixing saltwater in so that I can start doing bigger changes more often

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
In that case, go with your original plan of doing 10g/day. As suggested earlier, keep a reef log and test everyday. Have your parameters changed at all since you first started the thread? By keeping a log, you might be able to see what the problem is.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I plan on testing again in a few days.
I did a 5 gallon wc on the first day, a 10 gallon wc today, and I have 20 gallons of saltwater mixed for tomorrow's wc.
And I'll be doing 20 gallons daily until my levels are back down where they're supposed to be.
Plus I'm going to start supplementing more trace elements next week now that I've done some research on them.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
After doing approximately a 10% w/c over a period of 3 days, I've seen some dramatic results.

These are the results between today and three days ago with the small water change:

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389129919.829956.jpg

I'm really happy with the results I'm seeing, although the drop in pH has me slightly bothered. I haven't seen much of a difference in the corals, but I'm assuming that will take some time.

Any input?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Great job man. Just don't skimp out on wc's now. On a tank that size, id go with a wc every 2-3 weeks since your stock is pretty light. Don't worry about the pH cuz even though its a tad low, it's not enough to worry about. It'll all balance out once everything stabilizes. Just to be safe, I'd test every day for the rest of the week just to make sure everything is stable then test once a week after that.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
After doing another test, it looks like my levels have changed a bit.
My nitrates went from 0 to 15ppm, my ca/mg/kh all went up a little bit, my ammonia is at 0.5, and my phosphates jumped back up.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389226552.474333.jpg

This is the list of supplements I just bought that should be coming in tomorrow:

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389226698.238395.jpg

Along with the mg/ca/kh supplements that I already own.

This weekend I'm going to devote a day to removing all the rocks from my system to clean out the massive build up of detritus that I have, and I'll try to arrange the rocks in a way that doesn't collect as much debris. While doing a large water change.

I'm hoping that all this will get my system balanced out and get my corals healthy and growing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store