ALL ABOUT THE GIANT AND INDIA GIANT SNAKEHEAD

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
I used to rear one of these and they ate alot. Very majestic creatures, but too bad my walking catfish killed it.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Rayman, very interesting. Thank you so much, I have learned one more thing from you. That is amazing, the male with the larger head and snake-like body and the female with a head not so large as the male but with a large belly. The female looks more like a fish than the male. So that probably is the way of identifying the sexes of the Giant Snakehead as well. I will try to get more informations on this. What I am thinking is, if I am buying juvenile Giant Snakeheads which I will, how do I identify their sexes at such an early age? Hmm..that seems too tough. Unless the male still has the larger head and the female with her larger belly from an early age and if these characteristics do apply to Giant Snakeheads also which I think they probably should. Below are pictures of your Giant Snakehead from an above view. I feel like he is a male too, lol playing with him with a coke bottle?:D

aboveview2.gif

aboveview.gif

aboveview3.gif

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
yes
i think mine is a male

i would like to get a nice sized tank and try to breed.

but i would have to cover tank b.c. of aggressiveness.

are you inside the usa?

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
I did some research:
They crawl out of water to hunt frogs and stuff. One specie crawls out, waits unti covered with ants, crawls back in and eats the ants.
I am trying to find out wheter or no they are legal/available in Argentina. One site listed states where they are illegal and arizona was not on it. I don't know much about Arizona but I thin it is due to the fact that there simply is not much water. Thus, even they happen to get into one lake they probably still can't cross the desert to the next.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
shekes said:
I did some research:
They crawl out of water to hunt frogs and stuff. One specie crawls out, waits unti covered with ants, crawls back in and eats the ants.
I am trying to find out wheter or no they are legal/available in Argentina. One site listed states where they are illegal and arizona was not on it. I don't know much about Arizona but I thin it is due to the fact that there simply is not much water. Thus, even they happen to get into one lake they probably still can't cross the desert to the next.

*Smiles* yes, very true, it does that, I have read this one as I was going through articles regarding Snakeheads, but I have totally forgotten the crawling out, waiting to be covered with ants and then crawling back in to eat the ants. Lol that makes me want to laugh, how funny and yet so smart in its own way, what a smart ass, what a criminal, how evil haha. Thank you so much for posting this Shekes, it makes it so much better.

And you are definitely right about Arizona, still I don't think they would risk the lakes and rivers that there are. I had seen a list of states prohibiting snakeheads, and Arizona was one of them, but that is an old list, this law has been changing. Like New Jersey was not one of them, but now I seem it is.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Shekes, if you want to have Giant Snakeheads, and you want to have the best out of them, you give them a tank for them alone. Many mix this predator with a bunch of other fish since they want to have tank mates, and the other fishes are always as big as the Giant Snakehead or bigger and a lot bigger. It is possible to not get the true Giant Snakehead whom I consider as the T-Rex of the fresh water. And like the Great White Shark among sharks, Giant Snakehead is the Great One among all Channa species. So when aquarist do this, the out come can be different than what some would want to espect from such a predator from all that they have heard, hence it becomes a disappointment. ( Unless this is the Giant Snakehead that you want )

Some Giant Snakeheads get killed, some do not seem to be as aggressive as they would be. But some, still remain the King that they are when they eat one after another as they out grow the tank ( so you cannot really trust them, it is designed to hunt and kill and it will ). It is like growing a Lion cub among humans, definitely you can see the difference compared to a Lion caught in the wild. I rather give the predator the life it would have if it was in the wild as much as I am able to and to me, this is the respect that I am to give to an animal as its owner, caretaker, friend or our family member, because I want to see the Giant Snakehead :thumbsup: . To me it is not a mere pet, it is adopting, it is life, just like we love to live our lives our way without missing what we want to or could experience, they should be given the same respect. We humans who rule and control the world realize this, a little poor baby Giant Snakehead in a fish pet shop does not, let it know.

Of course, when it comes to a Lion, you don't want to do this :grinno: it is just about what you want to espect from your loving animal, as long as you do not hurt or abuse without knowing, I choose this way, not to add anything, but to just let them be as how they usually would be, and give them what they need and from there teach new things, add love if possible, as wild as it can be, I sure would love my Giant Snakehead fishes to recognize me, to even at least..if possible..take food from my hand, or let me touch it, carress the top of its body ( at a young age:D ). Because I have heard enough of stories of people losing their fingers to Giant Snakeheads for putting their hands into the tank. :(

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have already said this on the other thread but it deserves to be said here. As I had mentioned, after reading this thread and looking at these pictures, I have got to know that the Snakeheads we got were this aggressive predator! so we got them because we thought they were a cool fish...kind of jumped on the band wagon! lol So anyway, they were getting big fast, and we decided to get rid of them...They were about 10". I had gotten some fish bags from my lfs and thought, this would be really easy....We were in for a BIG supprise! I netted the first one and put it in the bag, it immediatly attacked the side of the bag, clamped on to it, and did an alligator death roll...lol...it tore a huge hole in the side of the bag! I could not believe it and I was laughing so hard, I did not notice it jumping out of the tank to attack my boyfriend! He jumped back and we threw a towel on it, picked it up and threw it back into the tank...WOW what an experiance! We put them into a 5 gal bucket, and took the back to the store. I never wanted another snake head again!

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
I LOVE Channa Micropeltes

phully- that pics looks almost like mine as far as the pattern

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
Another thing is

maybe once every 2 -3 weeks
my red sh ''sheds''
he peels off a thin layer of skin from nose to tail?
i think its more of his slime coat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store