All gars banned in Singapore.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
esparonisproud;5166066; said:
So the bans on already? dangit

However more that can to relate to this topic, in seychelles where i live we cannot import any fish, nothing atall! not even goldfish! reason is the seychelles are a tropical group of islands, when the fish trade had opened hundreds of fish were being release in our waterways and bred including guppies,goldfish,platys,swordtails,koi gourami.

Now theres no fish stores here, at all, to import one you'll go through so much documentation, the only people who have kept there fish from ages ago are scarce. I have yet to see someone with my type of fish, all u see are goldfish which are over cross bred :S
That sucks. You have no lfs at all importing fish?

Here it's illegal to import fish, unless you have all the (expensive)paper work. But oddly enough, it's totally fine if you carry the fish back yourself from another country.:screwy:

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
channarox;5166070; said:
That sucks. You have no lfs at all importing fish?

Here it's illegal to import fish, unless you have all the (expensive)paper work. But oddly enough, it's totally fine if you carry the fish back yourself from another country.:screwy:
Nothing at all man, I envy you guys seeing as you can walk in a store and buy fish, The only way i get mine are by my mum who brings them in on the plane, From singapore only, since she is a crew it is easy. But this is a risky way so we dont do it always.

I still remember the days when we had atleast 4 lfs here, there was an asian lady who brought in all sorts of fish! the main i can remember is a approx 12" silver aro my dad wanted to buy, these times i was around 11 so i hated these kinds of fish, all i kept was goldies :duh: we never bought the aro ofcourse lol

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
+1.

please name the native species that are found in our waters if any ?

I wonder if peacock bass are native to our waters since they can be found in our reservoirs and waterways. And they eat the hell out of whatever is in our waters. Are they going to ban those too ? Sometimes I wonder if like the person who designs bus lanes doesn't even drive a car similar to the people who want to ban the a/m. . . . Plain Dumb and Ignorant. . .
I'm pretty sure they could breed and populate in our waters. What we are saying is what difference would it make? Our waters are filled with non-native species anyways.
This is the type of hobbyist attitude and lack of understanding of even basic ecologic knowledge that gets these bans set up in the first place... If this is your position then just give up now on even trying to reverse it.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
This is the type of hobbyist attitude and lack of understanding of even basic ecologic knowledge that gets these bans set up in the first place... If this is your position then just give up now on even trying to reverse it.
Well, we ARE looking at it from a hobbyist's point of view. How exactly would we, here, form an argument then?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Well, we ARE looking at it from a hobbyist's point of view. How exactly would we, here, form an argument then?
What you do is exactly what I said to do in my note to Alex.. Best thing you can do is not form an arguement. Let us that deal with these things do so when the correct documentation has surfaced.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
I can provide a whole lot of documentation on gars but some of it will hurt your case (habitat preference, Temp acclimation, etc) and the major point, That of them being negligible as far as invasive potentiality, There is not much as far as that is concerned. Most current research on gars, in the areas which applied, is not to establish that (for or against) but to establish deficient populations and study existing ones.

I could not really myself even tell you if they have an invasive potential in SG... let alone not have one....In my own analysis and given any of the information we have at this time on the fish. If one was to weight what is out there and published, the scales do tip towards them being potentially invasive and damaging in some cases when introduced to a new environment. I can not really deny that this does exist. I also cannot deny that they have a great Aqua-cultural value (Food and ornamental) that is also present that tips the scales right back the other direction in SE-Asia.

Personally I would like to see more documentation of their (AVA, whomever) analysis of this and the data that they are utilizing to justify this ban on Gars. I'm not sure of the specifics of their case and as such it makes it difficult to combat it effectively from a purely scientific angle. You guys over there as a first step need to obtain this documentation from them. After analysis of this then we (Sol, LRN, Myself, Etc.) can be more useful to you in a support role.
read through this earlier in the weekend but am just catching up with posting - definitely agree. we can help with some solid info, but whether or not it will actually help one camp over another is not necessarily guaranteed. basic ecological data suggests that if there were enough males and females of mature age in the wild, they could pose a substantial threat in a non-native ecosystem, however, that impact also depends on the native fishes and other invasives already in the system. really hard to predict exactly how it would all go down (we can't elucidate perfectly clear pictures yet here in the NATIVE systems, haha).

like richard said, once we get solid info on these proposed bills, etc, we can help get info together. until then, all this (primarily) useless government-bashing chatter and asinine "logic" doesn't provide any help to the situation (although i can imagine it helps to vent, so i have no problem with that - i would definitely be more than ticked off if our gov was doing the same thing) --
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store