all male tank?? awesome, or mistank?

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I GOT HIM AT CHRISTMAS TIME, HE IS ONLY MAYBE 2-2.5 INCHES. THE DEALER SAID TO WAIT UNTIL HE IS AT 3INCHES. BUT I AM PISSED CUZ I REALLY WANTED A MALE!
Color is not a great way of telling gender. Does he have eggspots? Longer fins? These can indicate male as well. The best way to know for sure is the vent him.
http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

soxfan692

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
North Carolina
ash54876;3974099; said:
Color is not a great way of telling gender. Does he have eggspots? Longer fins? These can indicate male as well. The best way to know for sure is the vent him.
http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

I agree. You'll need to vent to know for sure, but you can also look at the dorsal fins.. most of the time if the fish has a rounded dorsal fin, it's more than likely a female.. if it's long and pointed it's more likely a male, but venting is the only way to know for certain.

Don't get upset about it. We've all had fish that we thought were one thing and ended up being another. With these fish, you are switching out stock quite often in the early stages to get what you want/need.

Patience..

justinf67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
tally
MZOLLMAN12;3970683; said:
Well, I have a smilar question? I have a 75g tank with 30 gallon sump. my fish list is as follows.

Nimbochromis Sp. Venustus

Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba"

Labidochromis Caeruleus - electric yellow

Lepidiolamprologus kendalli

Tilapia Buttikoferi

Pundamilia Nyererei

Nandopsis octofasciatum

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Aulonocara sp. - Red Peacock

Is this too many fish? Most of mine are males. At least I think they are, many are not showing true colors yet as i got them all as small juvies. I specifically order the yellow fin, kendali, and the tangerine as males.

Please give me your insight, pm me if possible.

Thanks
Michael
This is why ur mbamba is not coloring up... Ur stock list is pretty mismatched.
U have all 3 lakes in ur tank with many that will get too big pretty quickly...
The Tilapia Buttikoferi gets upwards of 14 inches. The venustus when mature will be too big for the mbuna. U honestly cant expect much in terms of coloration from this setup. Peacocks are less aggressive, so they will be stressed. The mbuna will look like a snack for a few of ur stock as they grow up...From all sides its not pretty. Post a pic of the mbamba and I will id it as I have been breeding them for a while. If ur mbamba isnt dominant, he will tuen almost jet black. they can turn off their colors to be submissive.

MZOLLMAN12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
Earl Park, IN
all of my other fish show color, except the Pundamilia Nyererei and the Yellow Fin? I think the only reason the Pundamilia Nyererei doesnt show color is because he is a late bloomer, I think with time he will become colorful. It is just the Yellow Fin is not dominate. what should i replace him with. red top afra?

i want something similar in color?

MZOLLMAN12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
Earl Park, IN
oh yeah picture quality is not good. took from my iphone. I am just a newb to the whole species deal, i just picked out good looking fish IMO.

but the yellow fin does have egg shaped spots behind his/her lower jaw

Ria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Tampa, Florida
MZOLLMAN12;3993643; said:
I know my fish list is scattered. I wanted variety of fish. I am currently searching for a bigger, 150+ gallon tank, to put my butterkoferi, dempsey, and kendali in. maybe even add some pbass?

Here is the pic of the yellow fin

View attachment 478510
Not completely sure what you mean by yellow fin. I'm assuming you mean Yellow Fin Borleyi. But he looks like a Pseudotropheus aurora to me, but I'm not positive. Google search the aurora and compare your fish, I may be completely wrong but it doesn't hurt to look.

Ria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Ria;4008626; said:
Not completely sure what you mean by yellow fin. I'm assuming you mean Yellow Fin Borleyi. But he looks like a Pseudotropheus aurora to me, but I'm not positive. Google search the aurora and compare your fish, I may be completely wrong but it doesn't hurt to look.

Opps just reread your orignal post and can see you are talking about the Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" yellow fin.
To me it still looks like an aurora, but like I said, I may be wrong.

Madayew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2009
NC, USA
Do what you want! Dont listen to these purists. I have a Hap/Peacock/Mbuna tank. All males. 25 fish in a 90 gallon. They get along fine. There are 2 bullies in the tank but with 23 other fish they can't focus al their attention on 1 fish. I wouldnt trade it for anything

MZOLLMAN12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
Earl Park, IN
i love my tank, and my mixture. I am definately not a follow, i set my own rules and i try to make the impossible happen. heck my red peacock chases my venustus around all the time. it is a crazy lil world in there.

i think the key was, i got them all at the same time, and all as babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store