Not open for further replies.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
24' in length??
I believe the max wild size for a very old and well fed gator gar is only 12'
and make sure the gar is dead before entering it in to the boat?
here's an idea try catch and release for rarer fish, and take photos instead of the animal? if you want to take a fish home go catch a catfish or a bass

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Why kill it to bring it in..
All these fish on Kirk kirkland's site where caught photographed and released.
http://www.texasfishingguides.org/kirkland/index.htm

It is idiotic hallmarks like "make sure the gar is dead before entering it in to the boat" that should trigger a BS alarm to not spread this Garbage anywhere on the net.. The article should come with a BS cover page..

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Poly, you are awesome

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
I don't like the way we hunt and kill these animals how do we expect to see a 24ft one if we kill them before they get a chance to grow to that size i think they should be protected and if they are in danger then maybe all those people who have one that is far too big for their tank should take them back to their natural habitat!

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
ok well no one said anything so i geuss i will
1 never put out a fish from an aquarium into the wild(this is why snakeheads are illegal here in the U.S.)
2 richard, solomon or anybody who knows what theyre talking about, correct me if im wrong but, they will not grow to 24'. period. 12' is the max size and this will take a long long time to aquire in the wild.
3 many who look it up before they buy a gator gar will take the time and money to make sure it is properly housed. those who do not know what they're getting into will usually realise there mistake and do something to rectify that mistake.
NOW not all people will do this but many will.

and please somebody if im wrong here correct me

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2470681; said:
ok well no one said anything so i geuss i will
1 never put out a fish from an aquarium into the wild(this is why snakeheads are illegal here in the U.S.)
2 richard, solomon or anybody who knows what theyre talking about, correct me if im wrong but, they will not grow to 24'. period. 12' is the max size and this will take a long long time to aquire in the wild.
3 many who look it up before they buy a gator gar will take the time and money to make sure it is properly housed. those who do not know what they're getting into will usually realise there mistake and do something to rectify that mistake.
NOW not all people will do this but many will.

and please somebody if im wrong here correct me
this is pretty much right. but from what i have seen and heard about gators they dont even reach 10 ' most of the time. a 10' specimen would be a very large specimen, much less 12'. but i may be incorrect also.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
city you are one of the people i was hoping to answer me on that one

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
These fish will not get 24 feet long.. this is just stupid, idiotic nonsense.
Largest documented have been in the 12 foot range and even these records are a bit suspect as there is little to verify them by. 10 foot and under is a bit more regular with 5 to 6 foot not being terribly uncommon even today.

These fish are in decline mostly on the periphery of their range not really in the core of it. Stable and fully harvestable populations do exist. These fish do need protections placed on them in some localities and many states have done so in recent years. Re-introductions have also occurred in a few states (Arkansas and Tennessee). While the fish is of special conservation concern I'm personally not one to say don't fish them!!!! I say DO fish them and Eat them. It is making these fish a respectable game fish that will in the end protect it the way it should be.. Gar meat is very good table fare and the thrill and fight even a small gar puts up on hook and line is really exciting.

Us Gar ecologist folks have for years been saying "GAR ARE GOOD for sport fisheries" and it has just fallen on deaf ears. We have argued and proven they are an important part in the management of regular game fish. None of this has got through to Bob six pack and Joe the plumber and as such the various state agencies have been reluctant to themselves buy in to making Gars sport and not expendable.

I have to say that I was very impressed when I met with a bunch of Organized Bowfishermen/ women and began to talk gar with them. They wanted more than anything to help me protect these fish!!! They want to have the resource monitored and protected and well studied. They have a vested interest in keeping Gar populations healthy. They have turned out, much to my surprise, one of the key advocates for Gar conservation. I once very much despised them but have now realized they are the greatest allied force this fish has..

So before going off on those whom utilize this fish, keep in mind it truly is these people that Use the fish that most often do care enough for it, to want the fish to be conserved and protected. So far in Lepisosteid history here in the US that is hard to find and any start point is a good point in Lepisosteid conservation..

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
ewurm;2469131; said:
Great read, and sad that gar are killed for no reason. Fish are not a necesary fod item for most anymore. Killing them because they eat other fish is pointless.
exactly...
and they sure as hell do not get to 24 feet.:screwy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store