Alligator Gar - Growth Rate?

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
mine is about 22 to 24 inches know in a 150g water troth( yes it has alot of room to move around) it is almost 2 years old and im feeding it twice a week talapea . he is fat and happy well about as happy as a gar can be anyways lol. so i think that it always depends on the fish and what it grows in because i think mine is kinda stunted from the previous owners.

kamilusoof

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2011
SriLanka
yo, i am new to monster fish keepers, does anyone know how to post a question as above?????????
I am thinking of buying a 3" Alligator Gar
Is it very hard, lyk the longnose gar?
n is it very hardy???

AnaB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
USA
my gar is about 7 months and he is now 18 or 19inches. They grow fast and you must have room for them. i had him in a 10g for about 2weeks then in a 60 until he was 10inches. I was trying to build a pond asap for him since he kept growing and growing

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I had a gar that was about 24 inches when I got it and not that fat around it was only eating goldfish. I got it off live food and in about seven months it was 33 inches and a least 6 inches across messing up all my fish in a 400 gallon tank that was 7 1/2 feet long 28 inches wide and 36 inches tall.Mine never slowed down at 30 inches long as some people have said,out grew my tank way faster than I thought and had to get rid off it,not an easy task not a lot of people willing to go threw the problems of keeping gator gars in large tanks with other tank mates.what I heard is true do not keep anything in with a gator that your not willing to lose.I can say I did and got it out of my system,now I am raising a spotted Florida gar and not having any problems with tank mates.You no what they say live and learn and i learned the hard way.

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
mine grow 1m in a year plus from 8inch. i heard they growth rate slow down around 4 years old or 4 feet long i can't remember. but it really depends on the size of your tank, i currently keeping my Alligator gar in 2200 gallon and not occupied in the tank yet i can see him grow few inches every month until now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store