Alligator gar in IL winter

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
For me the secret for achieving that ( and agreeing with all the above posted ) is to put them outside when the wather is at its warmest. Then let nature take its course.

Reechardd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2012
Alaska
Here's some info I found searching on the internet

Alligator Gar reintroduction to Illinois The US fish and wildlife service has released Alligator Gar into Rice lake, Banner Marsh,state fish and wildlife areas in Fulton county,and Hennepin-Hopper lakes in Putnam county in 2010. Reports say the reintroduction seems to be going well. Following similar efforts will be in near-by states of Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas. Alligator Gar can grow to 10' and weigh up to 300#. The fish and wildlife service are hoping the gar can possible aid in the battle to control Asian carp. I have mixed emotions about this Gar being in my River,I guess its supposed to be there so its good to have it return,or is it? Guess we will see how it goes,they may not be able to live in these waters

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I actually think it's a good idea since they use to belong there , I'm guessing they were over fished? Especially it will help with the Asian carp! I seem videos and boy it's really bad ! I think it's a lot easier to control the species of alligator gar rather than The Asian carp because of the size and since it has a big appetite I'm sure the carp population will drop rapidly and I would be scared to have alligator gars in my lakes/ponds lol! Would never go swimming but on a good note I would enjoy fishing for some like in river monster !

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Yea know kidding after I read that article I stared look to see if I could find some that has posted on the internet that has caught any if they were introduced in 2010 they should have some size to them by now.

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store