Alligator Gar minimum tank size?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
She's never starved. Folks all around town come over with catfish fillets and family packs of chicken parts to feed her. She's only thin when she comes out of hibernation. Then she gets road-kill deer, whole chickens, and whole blue catfish. We also restock her pond with blue channels, blue cats, crappie, and bass just before she's due to emerge from her hibernation cave.

Reactions: Raka

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Something you may not have noticed. The top pic shows a cypress tree. The original owners, I was told, used to go on hikes in adjoining states. Along the way they collected water lilies and cypress saplings to transplant around their farm ponds. All the ponds are out of view behind cypress, mimosa, and stands of over a dozen species of bamboo. The pond has a few local water lily species. However, the original farmer's wife imported giant water lilies with pads up to 3ft across. The pond is 14ft deep in the center yet, many of the water lilies push to up to 4ft above the water surface.

It's as if they knew there'd be a gator housed in one of these ponds 88 years after they started them.

bamboo2.jpg

lilies.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It must be a blast watching her devour a deer,any chance of a death roll featuring feeding video?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Tried many times. Every big animal has been dragged into the pond. We figure Ruby shoves the carcasses under fallen trees in the pond to tenderize a bit before she makes a meal of them.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
We have a concrete plant in town. The owner is retired Navy like me. They gave us all we needed for free so long as the crete mix was picked up loose on trailers. The chain-link was free by scavenging abandoned properties like the fence around a football field and baseball field at a shut down highschool. We couldn't take property boundary fences only. The only part we bought was the double gate. The rest was time which wasn't that long. On and off we had like 18 volunteers to help construct the fence. We provided food and drinks to entice people to keep coming back until the fence was completed. Trenching for the concrete pour was easy with a borrowed gas-powered trencher.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That sounds awesome,it about blows away any other reptile enclosure on MFK...I can't believe you were holding out on something like this all this time lol..How about your own photo thread,unless somehow I missed it.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I posted a thread about Ruby 7 years ago.

There are shortnose gars in the pond. They're kind of a nuisance since they take baits often when we're fishing for crappie, bass, paddlefish, flatheads, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store