Alligator Gar Size

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
First, spatula, too good.

eagle100;3667015; said:
so wrong theres been alligator gar caught 13 ft plus.
uh no there has not. check ur info. Solomon chimed in and like he stated, 10' is the largest. You do know we are talking about Alligator gar right?
any pics of the mystical 13' gar? oh wait you said 13' plus!! where is that gar? man i would love to see that!! that gar, wow!
plz try and correct me! you can NOT, and this is a guarentee, can NOT find any evidence of a gator gar that long.
If you can find any believeable piece of evidence that a gar has ever been caught that big I will eat my underwear!! And i will eat them right after burrito night!!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
eagle100;3667015; said:
so wrong theres been alligator gar caught 13 ft plus.
Wow that would become the biggest freshwater fish then. Lol!:ROFL:

I have kept gator gars in large outdoor pond about 21x15 feet back in the Philippines and they stop growing at 5-6 feet. I used to feed them with large kois that my cousin were breeding. Also by accident my neighbor's cat that was trying to catch the kois got caught from the gator gar's mouth. Fisrt one got killed second cat was saved.

This was the pond. Place a net to prevent the cats from going to the gator gars mouth. Can't really see the gar from the pic as the water was green of algae.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
King-eL;3667508; said:
Exactly!!
Also by accident my neighbor's cat that was trying to catch the kois got caught from the gator gar's mouth. Fisrt one got killed second cat was saved.
Bye Bye Kitty!!
Nice pond. In red

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nitrofish1;3666705; said:
but id stick to the smaller varieties. if you want something that looks similar, go with a cuban gar. here's another monster pic of a gator. this one is about 8 feet.
Were is that? I wanna go there!!

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
King-eL;3667508; said:

I have kept gator gars in large outdoor pond about 21x15 feet back in the Philippines and they stop growing at 5-6 feet. I used to feed them with large kois that my cousin were breeding. Also by accident my neighbor's cat that was trying to catch the kois got caught from the gator gar's mouth. Fisrt one got killed second cat was saved.

This was the pond. Place a net to prevent the cats from going to the gator gars mouth. Can't really see the gar from the pic as the water was green of algae.
Wow... look at the eye staring right at you... monster from the deep.
King-eL, is the gator gar still alive?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
m245;3668086; said:
Wow... look at the eye staring right at you... monster from the deep.
King-eL, is the gator gar still alive?
Not sure yet. I've been away from the Philippines for a long time now. I'm hoping they are still alive as I still wanna see them when I get back. My cousin is taking care of them.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3667859; said:
Were is that? I wanna go there!!
ask Zoodiver, hes the guy in the picture. but its still a massive fish.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
just for the sake of the argument.. and note I would never get in a gar debate with most of you guys in this thread but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 15' alligator gar somewhere.. there are giants and dwarfs of all spiecies, just saying.. I do not in any way mean that would change the avarage size or anything..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store