Alligator gars are psycho and cannot be trusted!!!

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
Ended up getting 2 alligator gars one platinum the other one other gold . The albino has had an explosion in growth in past month he grew 4 inches and looked like he doubled in circumference. Platinum might have grown an inch 2 at most. The only issue is he is now bitting everything in the tank from Albino chines perch 8 inches (too tall to swallow) 5 inch fly river turtle 10 inch RTC paroon shark hybrid and a 12 inch long nose gar. Not one fish in there is he remotely close to being able to eat. Only thing he doesn’t go after is my NGT datnoid who attacks him when he attacks tank mates. It’s like he is doing it just for the fun of it. There is no way he is hungry with how much he eats. I heard about this behavior but thought it was over hyped. I also heard it stopped once they hit 2 feet. My Platinum gar has none of these traits.

It’s psychopathic behavior the below Paroon RTC hybrid is rounder than him. When he bites he doesn’t let go. Im really at a loss does he think anything he bites he can eat? He got barbed in the mouth by my stingray and he couldn’t care less. He eats a half a fillet of tilapia a day so I know he isn’t hungry. Now I am looking to buy a second tank until he calms down. To migrate these fish into.

Any recommendations or did I just get a problem child?

January 14th 2024
1707878965703.png
February 12th 2024
1707879125889.png

1707878398625.png
1707879308532.png
1707878429607.png
1707878454006.png

1707878915936.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aroijuana

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ended up getting 2 alligator gars one platinum the other one other gold . The albino has had an explosion in growth in past month he grew 4 inches and looked like he doubled in circumference. Platinum might have grown an inch 2 at most. The only issue is he is now bitting everything in the tank from Albino chines perch 8 inches (too tall to swallow) 5 inch fly river turtle 10 inch RTC paroon shark hybrid and a 12 inch long nose gar. Not one fish in there is he remotely close to being able to eat. Only thing he doesn’t go after is my NGT datnoid who attacks him when he attacks tank mates. It’s like he is doing it just for the fun of it. There is no way he is hungry with how much he eats. I heard about this behavior but thought it was over hyped. I also heard it stopped once they hit 2 feet. My Platinum gar has none of these traits.

It’s psychopathic behavior the below Paroon RTC hybrid is rounder than him. When he bites he doesn’t let go. Im really at a loss does he think anything he bites he can eat? He got barbed in the mouth by my stingray and he couldn’t care less. He eats a half a fillet of tilapia a day so I know he isn’t hungry. Now I am looking to buy a second tank until he calms down. To migrate these fish into.

Any recommendations or did I just get a problem child?

January 14th 2024
View attachment 1535664
February 12th 2024
View attachment 1535665

View attachment 1535659
View attachment 1535666
View attachment 1535660
View attachment 1535661

View attachment 1535663
While I don't have experience with Aligator Gars, I would say definitely get him out of there as soon as possible before he seriously hurts or kills one of your other fish. Until you get another tank set up, maybe put him in a very large plastic tub with a filter and airstone until he calms down a bit. Have you checked his health, like mouth health and all of that? He might be acting out because he is in pain/something is wrong.

Reactions: tlindsey

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
While I don't have experience with Aligator Gars, I would say definitely get him out of there as soon as possible before he seriously hurts or kills one of your other fish. Until you get another tank set up, maybe put him in a very large plastic tub with a filter and airstone until he calms down a bit. Have you checked his health, like mouth health and all of that? He might be acting out because he is in pain/something is wrong.
He is fine barb didn't get stock in his mouth just grazed it. He was having trouble closing his mouth for 2 days but is not back to normal. Needless to say he doesn't bother the stingray anymore.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
While I personally never kept them, everyone I know that did described them as jerks that like biting stuff, especially fins. Which is why they all gave them away or put them solo. (One killed a whole set of young stingray, another kept chewing on Myleus that were way to big to even fit the snout)

Yours might be more aggressive than usual, but it does not sound that out of the ordinary compared to what I've been told and saw on their Tankmates.

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
5 minutes after me taking my paroon RTC out of the tank for getting attacked he goes after my long nose gar for the first time. I think he is being territorial
1709678530879.png
1709678552714.png
1709678577545.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store