Alligator Gars

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
I saw two baby alligator gars at the LFS (Thats what they called them.) They are about 12-14" each. Beautiful fish. Anyone currently keeping any? How big do these guys get?

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
frickin huge like 6-7 feet long and hundreds of lbs. google pics of them and see what i mean

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
record length is 10feet and 300 pounds.These are really not aquarium fish-Anne

rk59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Germany
anyway, no reason to be afraid of it. did you ever saw these gars larger than this size in an aquarium ?

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
I know I had one had to cut it down to feeding it once a week it was eating 6inch fish when it was 1 ft long would eat every day as I said it went into a 12 ft tank and was getting up to the 2 1/2 ft mark when it went of to its new owner and it was showing no signs of stopping I love these fish and would dearly love to own another one but you must thing about 2 things is my tank big enough? and who will have it when its to big? there is a lot of responsibility in owning these huge fish if money was not a problem I would have huge fish like alligator gar and Arapaima I have a 6 ft tank at the moment with plans to change it over to a 8ft in the summer and I still don't think this is big enough for this fish just look at that picture I know it was caught in the wiled and the tank will stunt its growth to a small amount but its getting less exercise and more food than it would in the wild :cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store