Alligator snapping turtle shell HELP!

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
Yes they do bask but are way more secretive than common snappers and submerge at the slightest disturbance near them. The ones i kept in 12 ft diameter stock tanks that were not afraid of humans many times would just sit there when i walked up to check on them. I will say i never caught them totally out of the water rather it was the tail or one of the feet dipped in while basking. I had several hatchlings that would sit on a red brick in the tank with water just barely above it and a basking light above it.
In my experience when it is a vitamin D issue the white bare areas will be at least slightly soft and look to have tiny spongy air bubbles in the bone. I was thinking possible rubbing issues but see nothing in your setup to cause it when you posted the whole tank pics. As suggested it could be a combination of all these things put up as possible causes.
A thought i just had, how often do you scrub the turtles shell? You mentioned that after scrubbing the shell this last time the area got bigger. If you are doing this often (personally i would not do it more than once or twice a year) it may be the problem or part of it. As mentioned the shell is part of the turtles skeletal system with blood vessels and nerves ( it is living bone). Each section sheds the outer layer one or more times a year as it grows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_shell . Anyways as your turtle is still young and may be lacking a complete balanced diet with proper amounts of D3 and calcium this outer layer may be very thin compared to normal and when you scrub it it is breaking away from the shell scute which it was going to do soon anyways just not yet. When the scute has this happen and it is way to soon then the white boney area would seep blood as well.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Ally snappers do not bask and do not require UV lighting- keep in mind these turtles like in very murky waters and only come out to lay eggs so they have adapted to get Vitamin D3 from other sources. If anything it looks like it is just rubbing that spot. As long as it is firm and not bloody then there is nothing to worry about. If it was shell rot or a real problem then there would be black spots that would be soft to the touch.

Turtle shells will shed normally and that is what this looks like to me. It does not mean that there is some deadly problem.
I agree with this completely. No need to provide that light.

kljr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Yes they do bask but are way more secretive than common snappers and submerge at the slightest disturbance near them. The ones i kept in 12 ft diameter stock tanks that were not afraid of humans many times would just sit there when i walked up to check on them. I will say i never caught them totally out of the water rather it was the tail or one of the feet dipped in while basking. I had several hatchlings that would sit on a red brick in the tank with water just barely above it and a basking light above it.
In my experience when it is a vitamin D issue the white bare areas will be at least slightly soft and look to have tiny spongy air bubbles in the bone. I was thinking possible rubbing issues but see nothing in your setup to cause it when you posted the whole tank pics. As suggested it could be a combination of all these things put up as possible causes.
A thought i just had, how often do you scrub the turtles shell? You mentioned that after scrubbing the shell this last time the area got bigger. If you are doing this often (personally i would not do it more than once or twice a year) it may be the problem or part of it. As mentioned the shell is part of the turtles skeletal system with blood vessels and nerves ( it is living bone). Each section sheds the outer layer one or more times a year as it grows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_shell . Anyways as your turtle is still young and may be lacking a complete balanced diet with proper amounts of D3 and calcium this outer layer may be very thin compared to normal and when you scrub it it is breaking away from the shell scute which it was going to do soon anyways just not yet. When the scute has this happen and it is way to soon then the white boney area would seep blood as well.
Can i ask, what kind of food should be added to it's diet for proper amounts of D3 and calcium for shell growth?

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
Besides gut loading prey items with it? Look at the turtles diet in nature. When i have had the chance to go find them in the wild i quickly found a clue to finding both types of snappers. While walking the edge/land or in the shallows i would come across areas full of empty broken shells of all sorts crayfish, snails and freshwater clams there would also be turtle slides on the embankment close to it. These are good sources of calcium and other nutrition and are for sure a common part of diet for these turtles. I have seen both types also take out frogs and baby birds on the water, again good sources of nutrition. I used to feed my captives fish i netted from the creeks and pond edges, snails from the garden and crayfish i also trapped from the livestock ponds i had access to. I had chickens and pigeons too and when a chick or squab didn't make the cut they went to the snappers or one of my other reptiles. So the idea is to vary the diet as much as possible and you are less likely to get deficiency in your pets.

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Ally snappers do not bask and do not require UV lighting- keep in mind these turtles like in very murky waters and only come out to lay eggs so they have adapted to get Vitamin D3 from other sources. If anything it looks like it is just rubbing that spot. As long as it is firm and not bloody then there is nothing to worry about. If it was shell rot or a real problem then there would be black spots that would be soft to the touch.

Turtle shells will shed normally and that is what this looks like to me. It does not mean that there is some deadly problem.
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store