Alternative pellets

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
RD. RD. Do you by chance have a nutrition fact sheet on the NLS Mega Fish 10mm with a more detailed breakdown than whats on the side of the tubs? Even rough estimates/percentages - for example what makes up 42% Crude Protein (min) like Glycene%,Lysine%, Leucine%, etc. Thanks a lot for all the insight.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, I have no idea what the exact amino acid break down is on any of the NLS formulas. I've been out of the fish food game for several years. About all I can say with any real certainty is that the main protein components of the food that is currently being produced at their facility is; South Antarctic Krill, Giant Squid, and Fish.

Reactions: Reedmaster16

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Sorry, I have no idea what the exact amino acid break down is on any of the NLS formulas. I've been out of the fish food game for several years. About all I can say with any real certainty is that the main protein components of the food that is currently being produced at their facility is; South Antarctic Krill, Giant Squid, and Fish.
Still herring?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not 100% certain, but from what I was last told by Pablo they now use more krill, and squid, and less fish, and all 3 will be naturally preserved. And according to the supplier of SA krill it has also undergone an additional sieving process to reduce the shell volume (and thus the flouride levels) making it suitable for mammalian diets. Less shell/chitin, should also equate to less skid marks. lol

Reactions: batang_mcdo

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
After reading this string, bought a bucket of the NLS Mega fish pellets and my rays hate it. Did your rays take to it instantly?

I️ have been using hikari carnivore which is like crack to them but costs an arm and a leg. I would love to switch them over to. A cheaper alternative if they would thrive on it.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
After reading this string, bought a bucket of the NLS Mega fish pellets and my rays hate it. Did your rays take to it instantly?

I️ have been using hikari carnivore which is like crack to them but costs an arm and a leg. I would love to switch them over to. A cheaper alternative if they would thrive on it.
same experience , I ended up trashing my large bucket of NLS 10mm pellets nobody ate them not even the Plecos.. Went back to Hikari massivore.. I use NLS smaller pellets for my other tanks no issues .. just the large pellet.

Reactions: Orthopod

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Hikari massivore/carnivore is exactly like that, super hard to get fish off onto other things, expensive, stinks and creates a lot of waste.

Not great food IMO/IME. I am feeding Otohime Hirame with fantastic results.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I recommended Otohime here on MFK in the past, for those looking for a less cost feed alternative that could be purchased in bulk. Having said that, once you get into the larger pellet sizes the formula changes, and IMO doesn't look any different than any other starch filled pellet. Wheat-Tapioca-Corn-Potato-Soy, more Wheat.

EP 8-10 mm Otohime pellets

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Tapioca Starch, Corn Starch, Potato Starch, Fish Oil, Calcium Phosphate, Soy Meal, Wheat Germ.

Far better feed options available here in North America, than that starch filled food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store