Altum Angels

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
anyone keeping altum angels here?

got a few simple questions for discussions:

1. will height of the tank affect its growth more than the length/width?

2. are yours sensitive or are they hardy? what are we doing differently that causes this?

3. how many is a school? some people tell me that 4 is max.

would love to hear all your inputs.!

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
Not an expert, but here's my 2 cents;

1. They need a taller tank for optimum growth.

2. VERY sensitive when first introduced to a new tank, but hardy once settled in.

3. The more the merrier, the smaller the group the higher the aggression. 4 and under may be problematic long term.

Unless you love a challenge consider Peruvian Altums (scalare) instead, imo.

situs

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2011
Singapore
Altums strive well in low PH and they displayed very nice in both widen and long tank, Preferably min 5' x 2.5' x 2.5'
A school of 10 will be ideal for the above dimension tank.

JC_P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
T.O
Both above statements are good, another thing you can consider is tank raised altums; if you can find them, they tend to be hardier than w/c, but it is also because of this reason that they cost more than they do for w/c specimens. I actually just picked up an 3" F2 today, I'll be posting picks on a new thread so have look.

situs

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2011
Singapore
wc altums will much nicer compare to tank raise. I do notice the differences that tank raise known as captive breed will normally appearing broken bar impression.

JC_P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
T.O
wc altums will much nicer compare to tank raise. I do notice the differences that tank raise known as captive breed will normally appearing broken bar impression.
That is true, but only when the generation line has gone so far down without the implementation of new genetics through re-introduction of wild specimens to captive bred individuals. i.e in the case of F1, F2, F3 following a strict breeding regim can, and in most cases will stop the bars from breaking. Either way, any type of altum; except hybrid is better than a "normal" scalare IMO.

*Pics. on last comment, sorry.. lol

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
1. will height of the tank affect its growth more than the length/width?

Height of the tank is important so your altums don't get stunted. These fish have been known to grow up to 18 inches height in the wild, though they are closer to 12 inches in the aquarium. Try to go for a tank no shorter than 2 feet tall, preferably 2.5 feet tall.

2. are yours sensitive or are they hardy? what are we doing differently that causes this?

They are extremely sensitive upon new import - they come from extreme low pH in the wild where most bacteria is inactive and thus don't have the immune system to deal with most common aquarium bacteria. The most common #1 altum killer in the aquarium is columnaris. You will need to keep them in pristine, disinfected water upon arrival and allow them to slowly build up their immune system. During this period of time, try not to introduce anything new into the tank as even a new tankmate or decor from another aquarium can carry columnaris bacteria and wipe out your altums. After a few months of careful care, they will be as hardy as rocks.

3. how many is a school? some people tell me that 4 is max.

I kept 6 together for years until 1 developed pop-eye and passed on earlier this year. The rest are 3 years old and still going strong together.

I have been raising batches of altums for 3 years already, and they are truly a challenge to keep well and alive when they first arrive. However, the joy and satisfaction of raising a batch to adulthood, and the sheer beauty and regality of them are almost unparalleled...only matched (in my opinion) by top quality wild discus.

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
hi illumnae, great to see you here too. been getting much advise from u from other forums.

i mentioned in a forum that my altums compacted way too much and sometimes lying on the ground, and the cotton bacteria seems to be spreading. however, after i threw in an entire packet of ketapang leaves, they seem much better.

i have low temperatures, furan 2 treatment, added salt. did the ketapang leaves lower the pH of my water? now the water is super brown.

another thing is, u mentioned above that pristine disinfected water is necessary. may i ask how can i disinfect it without fear of the chemicals killing my altums?
i have seen some LFS uncles using some purple color solution on a tank filled with water. is that the treatment u mentioned?

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
ive tried all means to get them healthy. but seems like they are getting worst. the white specks seems to cover more areas by the day, even though i kept up with Furan 2 treatments, adequate salt, low temps, blackwater, lowered pH.

im getting so stressed out, i hope someone can help my altums :( they look so cute, i wish they can pull through :(

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff, keeping my fingers crossed for your babys to pull through. Might be time to start raising the temp ? Perhaps some more knowledgable Altum guys will weigh in.

I'm into week two with my batch of 15. In my case they are all healthy looking and eating, but I lost two for unknown reasons, and now another one is off by himself in a corner and not eating.

Unfortunately Altums are not for the faint of heart, again best of luck with yours, I raised some in the past and they are worth the stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store