am i just lucky?

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
ive been keeping fish successfully for 20 years, mostly SA/CA cichlids. currently i have a 55 gal tank with 2 hang on the back type filters. it is heavily stocked so i do about a ten gallon water change daily. my fish thrive beautifully and i dont even own a water test kit. the only chemical i use is stress coat tap water conditioner. inside i have a 5" pleco, 4" jaguar cichlid, 7" oscar, 6" lima shovelnose catfish, and a 5" alligator gar. the gator gar was sold to me as a spotted gar by accident, so i may have to give him away once he gets big. I know i have future behemoths and am getting a 125 gal tank and a powerful canister filter in the near future and will split the fish between the 2 tanks. i like the dimensions on a 125 gal. so anyways i read all this stuff about water conditions and needing really large tanks and people will probably read this and think im nuts and violate a bunch of fishkeeping rules and guidelines but they are all seem active, happy, and get along peacefully. i live on the coast of southern Maine and maybe our tap water just happens to be good for fish from SA/CA. I do spend a lot of time tending to them with small daily water changes and the tank is clean and clear. So am i just lucky and get away with it or do people tend to exaggerate about everything?

my avatar pic shows my gar and shovelnose, but i will post a full tank shot later.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
There's a thread about this. I haven't used conditioner in my tank in about 6 years. All is well. I used to then I forgot to add it once and never did again

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
hey man I'm not part of the stocking police lol but I think long term your gonna need more than just the 125 and the 55 to house those guys. Maybe 125 and a 75 at the least. The 55 isn't really good for any of the fish long term. Glad that its been working out for you. I love maine btw wife and i used to visit Bar harbor allot

Reactions: resimodos

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
yeah your probably right, ill need to find a new home for a fish or 2 otherwise. thats what sucks about fishkeeping, some of these fish are just so interesting and intriguing, but get so large and not all of us are rich and can afford a 1000 gallon tank, and you are familiar with Maine so an outdoor pond would just be an ice cube damn quick and out of the question for tropical fish haha. i absolutely love my gator gar, never had a gar before but its just not realistic for me to keep him for life

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
hey man I'm not part of the stocking police lol but I think long term your gonna need more than just the 125 and the 55 to house those guys. Maybe 125 and a 75 at the least. The 55 isn't really good for any of the fish long term. Glad that its been working out for you. I love maine btw wife and i used to visit Bar harbor allot
The Stocking Police would be an awesome username... hmmm

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Cold but beautiful in winter. Cadillac mountain was a favirote stop for us.

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
im familiar with there too jaws, i live in Old Orchard Beach, which believe it or not maine has a summer beach tourist resort. kinda like a cheap florida for canadians haha. too bad summer in Maine only lasts a couple months, but its a nice beach

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
im familiar with there too jaws, i live in Old Orchard Beach, which believe it or not maine has a summer beach tourist resort. kinda like a cheap florida for canadians haha. too bad summer in Maine only lasts a couple months, but its a nice beach
Months? Or a couple of days? LOL! Water is too cold for my liking.

Reactions: resimodos

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Funny i never visited in thw summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store