Am I setting my self up for a disaster?

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Sand it is then! Later today I will add the sand to the tank and then try and locate the rocks that i am looking for for this tank... I for see a trip to home depot in my near future...

Thanks for the input!!!

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
[video=youtube;OBX0Xtd0_-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBX0Xtd0_-I&list=UUeyoqkQFOhYjBWvpU0HB3qw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Here it is removing the old substrate.

I just finished putting the sand in it and I will upload a video here soonish...

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Pretty cool where are you getting your fish from? Also is that a T5HO light fixture? It may be overkill if you do not add any nutrients or CO2. But with less demanding plants like the ones I named you may be alright. Think of the sand like garden soil. Try to seed it with nutrients in the beginning. If you don't have any aged/mature sand to mix with it, like I say, try some root tabs in the beginning. And then just over time let the sand mature. Try to get all the plants or most of what you plan to have in the tank right away. Let the detritus and other waste work itself into the sand over time. As long as you keep the water in good condition and have enough bio filtration you should be good.

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
It is a T5HO fixture, but it only has one bulb in it and it is approximately 25 inches off of the substrate. So according to that light chart that is somewhere on this website it puts me at the lower end of Mediumish I think.

I plan on ordering them through Zimmermansfish.com

Here is the tank after the substrate went in... also notice the MFK #Swag at the beginning.

Also I haven't told my subscribers what fish I am getting... so don't let the cat out of the box, ok?

[video=youtube;d9QjwEioACU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QjwEioACU&list=UUeyoqkQFOhYjBWvpU0HB3qw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I got some Dollar sunnies from him too. I ordered 5 but got 6. All survived and are in the .25-.75 inch range. They ate day 1 after a few hours of being in the tank. I have fed them live blackworms and scuds. I tried some flakes, they nibbled it but spit it out. Over time they may take them.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
I got some Dollar sunnies from him too. I ordered 5 but got 6. All survived and are in the .25-.75 inch range. They ate day 1 after a few hours of being in the tank. I have fed them live blackworms and scuds. I tried some flakes, they nibbled it but spit it out. Over time they may take them.
If you want to supplement their diet and bring out their colors try some freeze dried blood worms and daphnia....they will love them at that size.

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
I plan to feed them a bunch of stuff. I just got the shipping quote and it sounds like I need to save up some more $$$ before ordering the Darters.

I NEED MY PLECO BABIES TO GROW FASTER SO I CAN SELL THEM!!!!!!!!!

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Fish will ship out next Monday and should be here Tuesday or Wednesday! stoked!

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
10 Rainbow Darters arrived safe and sound, even after being miss delivered. I am borrowing a nice camera tomorrow so pics will be uploaded then.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Have any of you actually kept these fish regularly? I have; they're native to my region. Adult dollars will often eat rainbow darters.
Sometimes they ignore them, but if even one goes after one the others will start eating them too.
You may not have any issues if you raise the dollars with them from juvies, since sunfish can become too lazy or unaccustomed to hunt, but I personally wouldn't take any chances with them together if I paid for them.

I hope it works out for you and not trying to be negative. I'm just being honest with my experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store