Amazing fish story!

unkle_billy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
chicago
Mt titanium flowerhorn has developed a swim bladder problem and has blown up like a balloon and floating at the surface for 1 month. I have been treating him and keeping him submerged but he has not eaten for about 3 weeks and has developing "bed sores" from being against a surface for so long. As a last resort I watched a video on how to deflate deep sea bass for catch and release when they get the bends. I went to the pharmacy bought an 18 gauge hypodermic needle deflated him effortlessly and now he looks like a wrinkled leather hand bag due to no food and being stretched out for so long. I did not squeeze him I let as much air escape as could on its own and he began to sink but he is still floating a little bit. He still has enough energy to swim to the bottom and keep refuge in his pvc from time to time but he's not eating right away so far. I think I will try the garlic trick or maybe some blood worms to help him build some muscle back. If he lives it will be a bloody fockin miracle and I think he will. Any body know is there anything else I can do for him? I am going to begin removing the metro and epsom from his water slowly and hope for the best. You would not believe how deflated this guy looks! really crazy looking.

unkle_billy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
chicago
I am moving and have already packed my camera but I would love to. I might start busting boxes open so I can document his hopeful recovery. He is actually eating now just an hour after deflation. I noticed one of his eyes looks alittle sunken in. Im not sure if it was like that prior to deflation. Could the starvation cause that?

unkle_billy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
chicago
thank you he seems to have a positive attitude. Ill try to get a pic. he looks like an empty sack of a fish. Like he has no entrails whatsoever.

yoganathan_kn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
india
is ur fh swimming now without any problem?
some times if the swim bladder does not close properly it will have balancing problem

Lissaspence

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Illinois
That's amazing! He's a fighter! Good luck.

unkle_billy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
chicago
I can comfortably say that he has recovered. Lesson being if your fish blows up like a balloon because his swim bladder is filled with air get a big arse needle stab and save him!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store