America land of the free(followers)

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, this one's a tough call. As much as I detest government over-reach and excessive control of personal liberties...it's also hard to ignore the simple fact that too many people are dumb as rocks, or even just plain evil. Do you simply let them continue on their oblivious and/or nefarious paths...or do you stomp on somebody's liberty by preventing him/her from doing something stupid/inhumane/dangerous?

The more people I meet...the more I love my dog...
This
An emphatic plus 1

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Didn't they try to ban importing fish or something last time? But lol @ land of the free.
The land of the free thing is just a slogan. America has never been anymore free than any other democratic nation. People equate freedom to speech and guns.
We used to have a pit bull rescue and got into for the reason of saving pits and helping unwanted dogs find forever homes. We quickly learned how corrupt the entire dog/cat industry is from backyard breeders to rescues to pet shops. It’s all corrupt and as someone that’s pretty anti government, from our experience with the rescue, i fully support this.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
The land of the free thing is just a slogan. America has never been anymore free than any other democratic nation. People equate freedom to speech and guns.
We used to have a pit bull rescue and got into for the reason of saving pits and helping unwanted dogs find forever homes. We quickly learned how corrupt the entire dog/cat industry is from backyard breeders to rescues to pet shops. It’s all corrupt and as someone that’s pretty anti government, from our experience with the rescue, i fully support this.
So you don't like rescues but you support a bill that stops pet stores from selling dogs but allows rescues to sell dogs in the pet store and pay a fee to the pet stores. I really don't think some of you think before you speak. What you just wrote makes no sense.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
https://zoos.media/media-echo/peta-shelter-2021-death-rate-increases-significantly/?lang=en Peta was started by a nut job from the UK who thinks people shouldn't own pets, eat animals or wear clothing made from animals. And she would rather kill a dog than have a person keep them as a pet. I'm telling you guys for the last time they are working hard behind the scenes to ban people from keeping pets at all. A lot of you seem to think it can never happen anyone over 40 should know there are lots of things that have happened that people thought they would never see. I won't go into details because I don't want to offend anyone. So for me so long until next December.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Where do puppy mills send their animals? If not to pet stores, where will they find a ready market for them? If shelters rent space from pet stores, the animals being placed are existing animals, already in need of a permanent home. There will be hopefully a drastic reduction in the production of puppies and a switchover to rescue animals at these outlets. Puppy mills hurt everybody...the puppies, the people who purchase them and also the shelters who have all those animals who go wanting while people buy the cute little mill-produced pups. There is literally only one winner in this scenario...the puppy mill owner.

It's not that we don't think before we speak. Your problem seems to be with the fact that many are thinking after you speak, and finding themselves in disagreement. Nothing wrong with being opinionated...as long as you realize that others are not necessarily wrong for disagreeing.

Are we the lemmings at the back of the herd...or are you the lemming at the very front, wondering why more people are not following?

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Where do puppy mills send their animals? If not to pet stores, where will they find a ready market for them? If shelters rent space from pet stores, the animals being placed are existing animals, already in need of a permanent home. There will be hopefully a drastic reduction in the production of puppies and a switchover to rescue animals at these outlets. Puppy mills hurt everybody...the puppies, the people who purchase them and also the shelters who have all those animals who go wanting while people buy the cute little mill-produced pups. There is literally only one winner in this scenario...the puppy mill owner.

It's not that we don't think before we speak. Your problem seems to be with the fact that many are thinking after you speak, and finding themselves in disagreement. Nothing wrong with being opinionated...as long as you realize that others are not necessarily wrong for disagreeing.

Are we the lemmings at the back of the herd...or are you the lemming at the very front, wondering why more people are not following?
animals-lemming-not_to_following_the_crowd-group_think-independent_thinkers-lemmings-rdln562_low.jpg I'm the lemming watching you fall off of the cliff. You for some reason think a puppy mill needs a petstore to sell dogs which is 1000% percent incorrect. Did you not see me post a link with 20 pages of dogs for sale. People sell more dogs online than with a pet shop if the dog is not registered is almost impossible to keep track of what's being sold and to who. This is even better for puppy mills because they don't have to pay taxes on the unreported pups. Again I'm not guessing or giving my feelings it was my job for years. And I still have friends who are Humane law enforcement officers. We agree to disagree on some things but they are still my friends so I'm not the type who needs people to follow me I know where I'm going and what I'm actually supporting do you.

Last edited:

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc

https://www.hoobly.com/s/pets-animals~dogs-puppies where do puppy mills send their dogs are you serious. I see you really believe that peta stuff you read.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yep, I follow the PETA philosophy to the letter; everybody who knows me can attest to that. :shakehead

The pet store I worked at once upon a time got virtually all their pups from local puppy mills. Are there other outlets where the mills can send their dogs? It was a simple question, and you provided an answer, thank you. I don't think for one moment that the mills need the stores; but in order to sell dogs in the manner in which they sell them now, the stores sure as hell need the mills.

Now, if selling the pups through classifieds and other outlets is easier, cheaper, more profitable or in any other way better for the mills...as you claim it is...why do they ever send any to the pet shops? According to you, it's creating a paper trail, requiring the payment of taxes, results in less profit, yadda, yadda, yadda. Okay, that makes sense, and yet they continue to supply those stores. Why?

Could it be that they consider that as one of their regular main outlets, and therefore produce enough pups to supply them along with their other modes of selling? If the stores suddenly stop buying the pups, they'll just ship 'em out through other channels, right? But you say that the other channels are better for the mills, so why aren't they selling all their pups that way now, instead of dealing with the stores as well?

Common sense indicates that if they could sell all they produce without dealing with the added expense and difficulty of stores, they would...but they're not doing that. So if the store is removed as a possible buyer for the mills, logic would seem to indicate that they will be forced to produce fewer pups or be forced to deal with an excess.

I am simply stating that any measure that impedes, hinders or slows down the mills is a step in the right direction. You seem to think that unless a 100% perfect solution appears, anything less is a waste of time. I do not see a meeting of minds in our future.

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Thanks everyone for sharing your personal experiences.
A wise pastor once said, "Where there is a minimum of law there is a maximum of character, and where there is a maximum of law there is a minimum of character."
Do I have the character to keep my pets well? Am I able to control my Hygrophila polysperma? Is it possible to keep a snakehead ethically? Will every baby guppy experience an appropriate quality of life? Must a law be made to force me to do better?
I find myself looking to others, for instance, those in this forum.
As a republic, America never needs another law, such would only portend towards less individual character, but rather to enforce the laws it already has. Moreover, self-government is the character needed where there are a minimum of laws. No citizen should ever be relying on an authority to tell of right and wrong except that of God and conscience.
I feel this pinch of responsibility whenever I consider breeding my fish. (My big cichlids especially!) Few people want, or are able, to care for the fish which I enjoy. The ethics behind my choice to reproduce my fish always fascinate me. Honestly, this is one reason I prefer to buy wild caught fish. (I understand buying wild caught has its own set of ethics too.) But because liberals will be removing my ability to buy wild caught fish I will become forced to breed and maintain stocks of species which I enjoy keeping. This forces me into scenarios where I become my own "puppy mill".
Because I must regulate myself, (and I'm still working to set my own self aright), how might I lead others by example? How does one ethically dispose of an extra seven hundred Amphilophus fry? Or, even one stingray pup?
The regulations of a government do not answer these questions. They only make criminals out of otherwise good citizens.

• Love
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store