American eels at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you guys so much for your opinions, much appreciated.

The eels feed well now!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would not let the gulper loose.

The marks on the eels don’t look like bite marks to me. These pics are what I see for bites. I catch eels in baited pots for study. I believe when multiple eels are confined in tight quarters, they get quarrelsome and bite one another. IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
spotfin spotfin thank you greatly for this! You have seen them quarrel in the beginning of the last video, right? Louie the lungfish doesn't pay the eels any mind it seems whatsoever and his bite would be real big and nasty. The hi fin shark is one of the shyest fish. There is no one else in the tank. So that, plus them bickering, led me to assume it must be them doing it to each other, no?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Could be. I see U or V shaped bite marks as eels have a full set of teeth. A quick nip could show what you are seeing.
Good to see they are eating in their new tank.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
spotfin spotfin When I feed, the smell of feed is everywhere and pellets move around and I saw Louie carefully/lightly test-bite the eels mistaking them for feed as they slither around in a cloud of pellets. The two short parallel scratches match Louie's vise teeth / press apparatus. So I change my mind and I think you are right - these are the marks of the crab-cracking apparatus of the lungfish. The eels leave light abrasions on their snouts it seems when they bicker.

Reactions: spotfin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store