Ammo brass for substrate?

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Long as it's aquarium safe and seals the metal from contact with water, it should be good. Doesn't have to be epoxy specifically, that was just an idea. :)

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
do you think I could fill the casings with something. The inside where I can't really make sure it's 100% coated. If it started rusting from the inside I would never know. Wax maybe?

zigg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2010
ohio
www.facebook.com
i think i remember seeing a thread were someone did this. the problems with it were the shells would easily scratch the tank and if they are empty and not plugged they will trap alot of waste.

the tank looked awesome with all the shells. they looked like they were coated with a smoked chrome.

id figure out a way to plug the casings then dip them in whatever u want to seal them with. i wish i could find that thread. it could help out

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
If i were you id leave the casings out of the water. Even if you sealed them whats to say there wont be some wear to the coating over time. I wouldnt worry so much about the brass rusting as youll be able to see it, but keep in mind that primer has mercury in it. I had a friend whos office window just had a view of the trash dumpsters. He put a frame on the outside of the window and filled it with shell casings. It looked pretty cool from the inside. I think you should put a frame beneath the bottom and behind the back of the tank and fill them up with the brass. Youll still see them through the glass and they wont actually be in the water so its risk free.

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
Good point on the mercury, I like the idea with the frame behind the tank, I have more than enough to frame the bottom and the back. Of all the vehicles in Iraq you to a pic with the gator.... Sweet

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
vaipulu;4487299; said:
Good point on the mercury, I like the idea with the frame behind the tank, I have more than enough to frame the bottom and the back. Of all the vehicles in Iraq you to a pic with the gator.... Sweet
Yeah the Gator was the one vehicle people wouldnt believe we had over there. Plus it was mine and I didnt need to get a trip ticket or a driver! Oh, and I got a free John Deere hat when i sent them the photo. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store