Ammonia spike help please!

Dbrooker876

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2018
I have a 75 gallon bowfront. I currently have a LMB about 4”, a 5-6” peacock bass, and a 2” bluegill all from a breeder. I cycled the tank for alittle over a month with a HOB 75 gallon aqueon quietflow and a HOB 40 gallon filter at the same time. Gravel, some rocks and a mix of fake plants and I planted a few. Also a few of those bulb things you buy in a package also just randomly sprouted. First month and a half with fish in my water quality was awesome. Water was clear, and then I switched to a fluval fx6 canister filter because I was told to get better filteration, and then I can use the fx4 when I upgrade the tank when they get bigger. I added the filter media from the HOBs to the canister, sponges set up the way they came, biomax in the top tray, threw some chemipure blue in the bottom tray (these Flow top to bottom). Now I’ve been having some trouble. I’ve Kept the ammonia level 1.0ppm-1.5ppm and I’ve been doing daily 35-50% water changes for about two weeks. Tank is kind of cloudy but not terrible and It’s been hanging around that 1.0ppm mark. Ive been using prime and the fish are healthy and eating. I’m only feeding them Rosie’s once or twice a day and only as many as they can eat. Nitrites and nitrate levels are good. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just keep up with the water changes? Thanks in advance for help!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 75 gallon bowfront. I currently have a LMB about 4”, a 5-6” peacock bass, and a 2” bluegill all from a breeder. I cycled the tank for alittle over a month with a HOB 75 gallon aqueon quietflow and a HOB 40 gallon filter at the same time. Gravel, some rocks and a mix of fake plants and I planted a few. Also a few of those bulb things you buy in a package also just randomly sprouted. First month and a half with fish in my water quality was awesome. Water was clear, and then I switched to a fluval fx6 canister filter because I was told to get better filteration, and then I can use the fx4 when I upgrade the tank when they get bigger. I added the filter media from the HOBs to the canister, sponges set up the way they came, biomax in the top tray, threw some chemipure blue in the bottom tray (these Flow top to bottom). Now I’ve been having some trouble. I’ve Kept the ammonia level 1.0ppm-1.5ppm and I’ve been doing daily 35-50% water changes for about two weeks. Tank is kind of cloudy but not terrible and It’s been hanging around that 1.0ppm mark. Ive been using prime and the fish are healthy and eating. I’m only feeding them Rosie’s once or twice a day and only as many as they can eat. Nitrites and nitrate levels are good. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just keep up with the water changes? Thanks in advance for help!

Welcome aboard

Tbh you will have more than water issues in the 75. There will be aggression for territory and the aquarium is just too small but I personally would think about upgrading. Do larger water changes like 50% or more don't over feed. I also suggest you quarantine the Red Rosie before feeding to the fish.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just reread your post and sounds like you are having bacterial blooms also known as a mini cycle. Are you using a dechlorinator for the water from the tap?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just reread your post and sounds like you are having bacterial blooms also known as a mini cycle. Are you using a dechlorinator for the water from the tap?

I would suggest maybe 2 water changes a week to give time for the population of bio bacteria to increase. I also apologize noticed you are planning to upgrade.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just my opinion, but I think you'll find that more information will lead to more useful help.

First month and a half with fish in my water quality was awesome.
Readings, metrics, tests? Clear water does not equal good water quality.

Now I’ve been having some trouble. I’ve Kept the ammonia level 1.0 ppm-1.5 ppm and I’ve been doing daily 35-50% water changes for about two weeks.
This tank doesn't sound cycled. Moreover, daily water changes with that small a bio load makes it sound as if it's completely uncycled.

Tank is kind of cloudy but not terrible and It’s been hanging around that 1.0 ppm mark.
"Kind of cloudy" is more or less useless without a picture. And if it's clear right after a large water change, does it get cloudy again within hours. or does it take days?

Nitrites and nitrate levels are good.
Without posting the actual numbers it will be hard for people to guess what's going on in the tank. Readings should be posted.

Nitrites? Nitrates? pH?

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store