Amphilophus for Cookiemonster!

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Cookiemonster wanted to see a few pics of my amphilophus species. Here are a few random shots. Some of the fish are still with me, and some are with friends, but they're all cool fish!

Huge wild male labiatus:

Nice cit:

Trying to hybridize with a wild lab....... That's a NO-NO!

Female lab:

Wild male sagittae:

I need a new picture of that boy. He's really grown up in the last couple of months.

Young wild male lab; this one lost his big lips, but he's still hot:

Another of the same species, different specimen:

Trimac:

It's ON like Donkey Kong!

Wild female piebald lab:

Same, but a male this time:

Piebald again, but a cit this time:

.....and again:

Wild male lab:

.....and his old girlfriend:

Red and white lab........ Reagan, do you have an updated pic of this guy? I hear he's a beast!

Another one that now lives with Reagan...... male amarillo:

.....and his wife:

And a pair that puts the RED in Red Devil....... Male:

Female:

Good thing there are the red ones...... "Peach Devil" doesn't sound as bada$$ as it looks!

Group shots with cits, labs, xiloas, amarillo, etc:

Wild zalio male:

Old Warrior!

White cits:

And finally, the fate of most of my juvies........to be eaten by something like this (that little guy in the background has about 3 seconds to live!):

Just kidding, he was way too smart for that Jag. But most of the little guys aren't!

Incidentally, all of my fish came from Jeff Rapps. There's a cool photo thread in his vendor forum with some more pics. Enjoy!

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
cchhcc;2608292; said:
Cookiemonster wanted to see a few pics of my amphilophus species. Here are a few random shots. Some of the fish are still with me, and some are with friends, but they're all cool fish!

Another one that now lives with Reagan...... male amarillo:

Very cool collection! I think I have seen this male at Reagan's -- very impressive male. And very aggro. as well.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
TheOscarGuy;2608315; said:
Very cool collection! I think I have seen this male at Reagan's -- very impressive male. And very aggro. as well.
No kidding! He was the most interactive fish I've had in a long time, and he HATED the zalio he lived with. Funny how they never even so much as scratched each other. This was the nightly scene of the guy as a youngster:

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
Incredible! Thanks man! I love the wild zalio, he's huge! I have a female zaio that has laid eggs with a male xiloaensis, fortunatly the eggs didn't last.

I think I have a little amarillo that is the son of that jumbo male, I got him from fishfarm and I think he buys fry from reagan.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
cookiemonster;2608366; said:
Incredible! Thanks man! I love the wild zalio, he's huge! I have a female zaio that has laid eggs with a male xiloaensis, fortunatly the eggs didn't last.

I think I have a little amarillo that is the son of that jumbo male, I got him from fishfarm and I think he buys fry from reagan.
You very well may...... I sent about 100 of his babies to Reagan. WAIT! I have a picture of your fish:

Did you see him? :)

And here's another of that barred lab you wanted:

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
Haha, yeah I think he's in there somewhere. I'll have to get pics of him.

:drool: At the barred devil! I'm ordering a couple from Rapps, but not with lips like that!

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
Awesome collection of fish! The red Red Devil is an excellent example of what they should look like. Thanks for sharing!

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Man, I love that wild piebald male lab.

I'm always amazed at the colors these fish get. I fished for them a lot when I lived in Hawaii (probably a mutt, but still lots of fun on light tackle) and it was always fun to see the colors you could pull in.

I'm assuming the brilliant colored ones were kept outside? If I had the time (or the drive) I'd like to do a little study with some grow outs where the sunlight is the independent variable. Something in the sunlight (a tan maybe?) makes them so much more vibrant than fish raised indoors...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store