Amur pike x Muskie

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Anyone know much on these all I really know is that they were bred over 30 years ago and that some got into the50 inch range in u.s lakes so any info is apreciated.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I also know that they were stocked in a lake in Pennsylvania but that the adult brood stock of Amur pike died and the program was discontinued

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You just answered your question. That's all we know about Amur pikes in United States and their hybrids

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I also know that they were stocked in a lake in Pennsylvania but that the adult brood stock of Amur pike died and the program was discontinued
it was one of my local lakes you are speaking of, Pymatuning.

There are no active groups of these fish anywhere, the DCNR up here is 99.9% sure all the adults they stocked in the lake are gone.

P.S. These were pure bred amurs, not a hybrid. I've spoken to the CO's at the hatchery about them.

EDIT I misspoke, it was Glendale lake, the guys from the pymatuning hatchery were helping on the project, it wasn't their lake.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Darn, we'll do u have any decent info on the pure Amur pike then, there doesn't seem to be any reliable info on them, i think Amur x leech lake Muskie would be my dream breeding project, just not sure anybody would be interested in the fingerlings?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Darn, we'll do u have any decent info on the pure Amur pike then, there doesn't seem to be any reliable info on them, i think Amur x leech lake Muskie would be my dream breeding project, just not sure anybody would be interested in the fingerlings?
I've never seen anyone raise these. Your best bet would be to reach out to a fish and game officer in your area and ask, as I know of no one breeding over here. I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't be allowed either, since they can survive the harsh weather like their north American cousins and would be treated as invasive. The breeding and introduction projects for these fish, I as understood it, were in areas that cross-water spreading wasn't a possibility, meaning the amurs were in a controlled area with no chance of the fish spreading unsupervised.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If I start a project i will make a deal with the game and fish, they usually like free gamefish

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If I start a project i will make a deal with the game and fish, they usually like free gamefish
are you stateside? Again my bet is they would not allow these animals stateside for the reason i mentioned above.

P.S. you just joined last saturday and have almost 140 messages...good lord.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
No they didn't. Why would today's fisheries biologists want to stocking a fish that's not native to North America? They have a disease that is fatal to native esox and they are known to hybridizing with pikes, something that we don't need.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
are you stateside? Again my bet is they would not allow these animals stateside for the reason i mentioned above.

P.S. you just joined last saturday and have almost 140 messages...good lord.
THIS recent Saturday :D

He's gonna top my post count soon LOLOL - 3,000+ in 6 months

No they didn't. Why would today's fisheries biologists want to stocking a fish that's not native to North America? They have a disease that is fatal to native esox and they are known to hybridizing with pikes, something that we don't need.
can you elaborate a little on that disease......I mean it was worded a bit confusing.....they are esox but they have a disease that is fatal to esox?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store